none
Share Access problem for Windows Server 2008

Question

• I have an interesting problem. I have a legacy Server 2003 domain with some servers running. All shares are visible to all computers and workstations. I added some 2008 Servers including a new domain controller into the same domain (after doing ADPREP). I also added DNS and WINS to the new ADC server.

Now the interesting part. Any shares I create on the Windows Server 2008 machines are ONLY visible to the new ADC. Not any other servers or workstations. From my XP machine I can ping the server (containing the share). I can browse using windows explore and see the server in the domain but when I click on it, instead of see the available shares, I get a message Server not accessible, you might not have permission to access it .... and the generic 'Network Path Not found' message.

I am a domain admin and have created the share with read/write permissions for everyone.

Major kudos to anyone that can help me solve this. I've spent way too long on it.

--greg

Thursday, July 18, 2013 10:10 PM

Answers

• Hi Greg,

Please help confirm:

1. If new added servers are in a same site as old servers/clients. If not, check if in-site clients/servers could access the shares.

2. Test if you could access the server with \\IPaddress instead of \\servername

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Saturday, July 20, 2013 2:30 PM