none
When to install the Applications

Question

• Hi,

I'm getting my head around MDT 2012 as I have 100 new workstations to install for our users.

I have successfully installed Windows 7 Pro 64 bit, joined our domain, installed Office 2010 and have created silent installs for our business applications, all of which install via the TS.

I have realised that I can not sysprep and capture an image if the workstation is on the domain, so that made me think of when to install the Applications.

Is it best to install Windows with required features, patch then sysprep and capture.  Then install the applications via the TS when deploying the custom image?

Or

Install as much as many Applications as possible with the reference PC in a Workgroup and then sysprep and capture?

How do you guys do it?

Thanks

Tuesday, July 16, 2013 9:04 PM

All replies

• I second building images in a virtual environment.

As far as the question, it largely depends on your environment (and perhaps workplace politics.)

For production in my own environment, I include as many applications in the image as I can, meaning applications that are installed for all users across the board, such as Adobe Reader or Jave Runtime. Applications with unique considerations are installed at the time of deployment. For example, vendor-specific apps (e.g. Dell ControlPoint software) or Cisco VPN client (only installed on laptops and tablets). 

In my experience the "thin" approach (deploy Base OS, layer apps at deployment time) allows for more flexibility  but takes longer to complete deployment. On the flip side, the "thick" approach (image contains OS, updates, and applications) is deployed quicker but doesn't allow nearly as much flexibility.

Lots of options, so you must decide what works for you. 

-Nick O.

Tuesday, July 16, 2013 9:30 PM
  • OK, thank you both for the quick replies.

It sounds like its matter of testing different deployments out to see what fits our needs.

I'll certainly try out building the images in a virtual environment and I guess I just inject the correct drivers when deploying the custom image to the physical target.

Cheers

Phil

Tuesday, July 16, 2013 9:42 PM
  • Maybe these can help. They show how to build a Windows 8 image, but it basically goes the same for Windows 7 too.

http://windowsdeployments.net/building-a-windows-8-image-with-mdt-2012-update-1/

http://windowsdeployments.net/teched-2013-building-the-perfect-windows-8-image/

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Thursday, July 18, 2013 12:08 PM