none
LoopBack unexpected behavior

Question

• Hi all,

Have a custom made webservice on same server as an SharePoint 2010 application - Server 2008R2.

On the server http://support.microsoft.com/kb/896861 "BackConnectionHostNames" has been used, as expected SharePoint sites, search etc. will not Work without the hostname in the registry - from the server.

Ex. IIS bindings and in "BackConnectionHostNames":

site.contoso.local

anothersite.contoso.local

webservice.contoso.local

But strangely webservice.contoso.local will NOT Work when the name are in "BackConnectionHostNames", removed it then it Works an I can see the site in IE - from the server.

Shouldnt the default behavior for Loop Back be if its not in the string "BackConnectionHostNames" it should give me 401.1 error?

When removing site.contoso.local and anothersite.contoso.local, then i get the error.

Friday, April 11, 2014 4:37 PM

Answers

• Answer was somehow simple, Kerberos was set for the service account that where used as application pool, Thus forcing the the authentication to be NTLM for the hostnames in "BackConnectionHostNames".

So leason learned do not add the hostname to the "BackConnectionHostNames" if its used with kerberos, as this will force NTLM for that hostname.

Friday, April 11, 2014 7:00 PM

All replies

• Answer was somehow simple, Kerberos was set for the service account that where used as application pool, Thus forcing the the authentication to be NTLM for the hostnames in "BackConnectionHostNames".

So leason learned do not add the hostname to the "BackConnectionHostNames" if its used with kerberos, as this will force NTLM for that hostname.

Friday, April 11, 2014 7:00 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for sharing and it must be helpful to anyone who has encountered this kind of issue.

Best regards,

Susie

Monday, April 14, 2014 8:06 AM