none
Setting up 2 App-V Servers

Question

• Hi there

I'm currently planning our App-V 5 Environment in our company. My goal is to have 2 mangement / publishing servers with a Netscaler in front of it, loadbalancing the management and publishing website. The AppVManagement Database will be stored on our SQL Cluster. So the environment should be fault tolerant.

However, i actually don't find any information about how to install the two servers. What i found out, is that i need to setup the database on the cluster manually (http://blogs.technet.com/b/appv/archive/2013/05/06/how-to-install-the-app-v-5-0-database-and-management-server-using-sql-scripts-on-the-db.aspx)

Do i simply need to add both of my App-V servers to my Database-Logins and run the setup for management and publishing server equally on both of my servers pointing to the database?

Also on the setup you need to specify a management server for the publishing service. I think in my scenario i will take the local management server on the same server?

The last question that i have is about the IIS Prerequisites (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj713458.aspx). The App-V Servers are running on Server 2012 R2. In the technet article it said to add ASP.NET / .NET Extensibility to IIS. On Server 2012 i have the choice to add ASP.NET 4.5 / 3.5 and .NET Extensibility 4.5 / 3.5

Does App-V Server requires .NET 3.5 Features?

Thank you very much.

Regards Simon

Monday, August 25, 2014 6:24 AM

Answers

• Hi,

for the database permissions you should create a group that contains both App-V server's machine accounts (and yes, you have to use the scripts, and you have to adjust them beforehand).

During installation of each App-V server you are asked to point to an exisiting database (your cluster): This tells the Management Servers where they should connect to.

For the Publishing Servers the list is stored in the database. So the installation wizard will perhaps add 'server01' automatically during installation of Server01, and the wizard on Server02 wioll add Server02.

Either way you should validate after the installation that both Publishing Servers are entered into the database. You can use the 'Server' node/icon in the Management Console. 

I'm not entirely sure, but I think you've to install Dot.Net 3.5 as well

Falko

Twitter @kirk_tn   |   Blog kirxblog   |   Web kirx.org   |   Fireside appvbook.com

Monday, August 25, 2014 9:44 AM

All replies

• Hi,

for the database permissions you should create a group that contains both App-V server's machine accounts (and yes, you have to use the scripts, and you have to adjust them beforehand).

During installation of each App-V server you are asked to point to an exisiting database (your cluster): This tells the Management Servers where they should connect to.

For the Publishing Servers the list is stored in the database. So the installation wizard will perhaps add 'server01' automatically during installation of Server01, and the wizard on Server02 wioll add Server02.

Either way you should validate after the installation that both Publishing Servers are entered into the database. You can use the 'Server' node/icon in the Management Console. 

I'm not entirely sure, but I think you've to install Dot.Net 3.5 as well

Falko

Twitter @kirk_tn   |   Blog kirxblog   |   Web kirx.org   |   Fireside appvbook.com

Monday, August 25, 2014 9:44 AM
  • Hi Mark

Thank you very much for you reply, answered all my questions :-)

Monday, August 25, 2014 1:28 PM