none
migrating from SBS 2003 to SBS 2011 Standard

Question

• I am performing a migration install from SBS 2003 to SBS 2011.

I am receiving "FATAL: DcPromo_JoinDomain: The server was not promoted to a domain controller."

In the SBSSetup.log: Setup: ErrorCode is ExitUnableReadDomainList, (26)

Task: Error: DCPromo failed. You can find the output of dcpromo at "C:\Program Files\Windows Small Business Server\Logs\DCPromo_120308.073549.log"

DCPromo_120308.73549.log" : The wizard cannot access the list of domains in the forest. The error is:
    Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password

I have verified the user name and password I am using is correct, by logging onto the source server.

I have also tested with multiple user name and password combinations.

• Edited by Brian_45 Tuesday, March 13, 2012 3:43 PM
    Tuesday, March 13, 2012 3:41 PM

Answers

• Thanks for all the suggestions, after many hours on the phone with Microsoft, we discovered the destination server was dropping the connection.

I had Dell replace the motherboard, and all has been resolved.

• Marked as answer by Brian_45 Wednesday, March 28, 2012 12:49 PM
    Wednesday, March 28, 2012 12:49 PM

All replies

• Did you run all the usual commands before?

Exchange BPA, SBS BPA, IT Environment Scanner, dcdiag, repadmin etc? All those came back clean?

Jim

Tuesday, March 13, 2012 8:02 PM
  • Yes, I followed the directions in the SBS7_Migrate2003.docx file, to a T.

And this isn't the first migration I've done, and have never run into an issue of this nature before.

Tuesday, March 13, 2012 8:05 PM
  • Hi Brian, I suggest you first make sure the password meets complexity requirement:

Strong passwords must meet the following minimum requirements:

• Passwords cannot contain the user's account name or parts of the user's full name that exceed two consecutive characters.
    • Passwords must be at least six characters in length.
    • Passwords must contain characters from three of the following four categories:
    • English uppercase characters (A through Z).
    • English lowercase characters (a through z).
    • Base 10 digits (0 through 9).
    • Non-alphabetic characters (for example, !, $, #, %).

If password meets the requirement, you can check the following links:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/sbs/archive/2011/07/08/sbs-2011-standard-migrations-keys-to-success-part-2-the-setup-phase.aspx

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2536941

Sean Zhu

TechNet Community Support

• Proposed as answer by Jkazama Friday, March 16, 2012 7:37 AM
    Friday, March 16, 2012 7:31 AM
  • Sean,

1) There were no password requirements originally set.  Although I did have a complex password, (i.e. lower case, base 10 digit, non-alphanumeric charecter, and was 8 characters in length).  I received the same error messages, logs showed the same thing.  I then enabled password requirements, reset the password to include an uppercase character, as well, and received the same error messages, and logs showed the same thing.

2) Regarding the second link, I have viewed this post, and it has not been much help, as my first error code is "ExitPromoDemotFailed (54)".

3) Typically the first error message I have been seeing, is "Verify the source server name is correct", I have opened command prompt and I can ping by FQDN and NetBios name successfully.

thanks, Any further help you can provide would be appreciated, my client is anxious to get their new server in place.

Friday, March 16, 2012 1:17 PM
  • Password complexity is force from SBS 2011.

Have you created a new network admin account and entered it in answer file?

Saturday, March 17, 2012 3:15 AM
  • Jkazama,

Yes I have created a new admin account, associated all Admin groups, and entered in Answer file.

I have also tested with different media, OEM vs the disc from our Technet package.

Saturday, March 17, 2012 7:32 PM
  • Strange because  the error clearly specifies that he account is not meeting the password complexity.

Do u still have the failed installation of SBS 2011?If so can you try a manual dcpromo and see if it works and if not then post back the log?

Please upload the log files mentioned in the KB to public interface of your sky drive and post the link here.

Sunday, March 18, 2012 6:07 AM
  • Yes I still have failed installation of SBS 2011.

https://skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx?cid=c42f6ceb085e45fe&resid=C42F6CEB085E45FE!127&parid=C42F6CEB085E45FE!126&authkey=!AI-r_gRFi9pIavI

Are all the error logs.  I have tried a manual DCPromo, and get error regarding RPC Service not running.  Although it is running.

Monday, March 19, 2012 1:17 PM
  • dcpromoui 804.238 01B3 07:51:48.484       failed trying to read domains, returned 0x8007052E
    dcpromoui 804.238 01B4 07:51:48.484       Enter GetErrorMessage 8007052E

The error message/code(8007052E) still points to "Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password".

Sean Zhu

TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, March 20, 2012 5:46 AM
  • Sean,

That may be what that error message/code points at.  But I can explain what I've done, thus far:

1) I tested using the Administrator account, which contains a password using 3 of the 4 complexity requirements (lower case, number, alphanumeric and 8 characters).

2) When I got the same error message, I used an existing account, using a password containing 3 of the 4 complexity requirements (lower case, number, alphanumeric and 8 characters).  This account holds all the admin roles (enterprise, schema, domain, and administrators).

3) When I got the same error message, I restarted, using a brand new account, with a password, containing all 4 of the complexity requirements (upper case, lower case, number, alphanumeric and 8 characters), this account holds all of the admin roles as well.

4) When I got the same error message, I enabled all of the password requirements (complex, length, and history), reset the password for each of the 3 accounts I used before, and tried again.

5) I have been able to join the new server to the existing domain, using the Administrator account, I have attempted to run DCPromo several times, and each time, I receive errors in different spots, and different errors, the most consistent being "Network name no longer exists", generally right after the portion of the wizard that allows you to enter a user name and password.

Tuesday, March 20, 2012 12:44 PM
  • Thanks for all the suggestions, after many hours on the phone with Microsoft, we discovered the destination server was dropping the connection.

I had Dell replace the motherboard, and all has been resolved.

• Marked as answer by Brian_45 Wednesday, March 28, 2012 12:49 PM
    Wednesday, March 28, 2012 12:49 PM