none
Opening a port on SBS 2003

Question

• My client is having an ADT Security system installed that allows the owner to view the camera videos online.  The Security guy requested that I open a couple of ports on the server to allow this. 

I attempted to open the ports via CIECW, which didn't work.  I then tried to do it through Routing and Remote Access, still not open even though the settings are there.  I do a netstat and that port is not listening and I also wen to www.grc.com to probe the ports....nothing.

Any suggestions?

Monday, September 19, 2011 8:15 PM

Answers

• If you have two nics in your SBS then the internal <->external traffic passes through the SBS.  But SBS 2003, without ISA, is not a true firewall or router.  What is the device at the edge of the LAN, that is, if you have two nics in the SBS, what is the external, or WAN, nic plugged into?  There is where the ports have to be opened.

Given this requirment, I might consider reducing the SBS to one nic and putting a real firewall at the edge.  You will be more secure, and have more granual control of what ports are forwarded to each computer.  

Larry Struckmeyer[SBS-MVP]
    • Proposed as answer by GreenlightTech Tuesday, September 20, 2011 3:17 AM
    • Marked as answer by Tiger Li Monday, September 26, 2011 11:47 AM
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 1:11 AM

All replies

• If you have two nics in your SBS then the internal <->external traffic passes through the SBS.  But SBS 2003, without ISA, is not a true firewall or router.  What is the device at the edge of the LAN, that is, if you have two nics in the SBS, what is the external, or WAN, nic plugged into?  There is where the ports have to be opened.

Given this requirment, I might consider reducing the SBS to one nic and putting a real firewall at the edge.  You will be more secure, and have more granual control of what ports are forwarded to each computer.  

Larry Struckmeyer[SBS-MVP]
    • Proposed as answer by GreenlightTech Tuesday, September 20, 2011 3:17 AM
    • Marked as answer by Tiger Li Monday, September 26, 2011 11:47 AM
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 1:11 AM
  • It's been awhile, but thank you...it did get resolved, but so long ago, I don't remember.
    Wednesday, January 30, 2013 11:40 PM