none
SBS 2011 Migration Wizard - Unintentional completed Task

Question

• Hello,

I am in the process of migrating from a server running SBS2003 to a new server running SBS2011. I am nearing the end of the process, but when I was using the Migration Wizard on the SBS console, I accidentally checked "Completed" when I got to the screen about migrating the users and groups. Now.....I can't get back into that screen to actually migrate the users and groups. Is there a procedure to "undo" that Completed check mark so I can use the wizard to do the migration, or is there a manual process that I can do, that will do the same thing?

Please let me know as soon as you can...I am so close to finishing this project.

Thanks so much in advance!

Jim

Tuesday, December 27, 2011 11:40 PM

Answers

• That wizard is by and large only use to track what all you have completed and does not migrate anything by itself.

Follow the  guide and you will see that to migrate most of the stuff you have to take manual steps,for eg for mailbox migration you have to use EMC,for user shares you use robocopy etc...

For users and group you use "Change User Role Wizard"....look through the migration guide and you will see that.....

Wednesday, December 28, 2011 12:56 AM
  • Hi,

From the problem description, I understand that you would like to migrate from SBS 2003 to SBS 2011.

SBS 2011 migration wizard is the SBS Migration Preparation Tool. It will help you to scan the health of the existing domain to identify many issues that may prevent a successful migration and prepare the domain for SBS 2011.

For the detailed information about the SBS 2011 migration preparation tool, there is a link for your reference:

Title: Introducing the SBS 2011 Migration Preparation Tool

URL: http://blogs.technet.com/b/sbs/archive/2011/01/20/introducing-the-sbs-2011-migration-preparation-tool.aspx

If you would like to do the migration processing, there is a link including the detailed procedures to migrate from SBS 2003 to SBS 2011:

Title: Migrating to Windows Small Business Server 2011 Standard

URL: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg490796.aspx

Note: Please follow the procedures step by step. Each step will be the key point to be a successful migration.

Regards,

James

James Xiong

TechNet Community Support

Thursday, December 29, 2011 9:04 AM

All replies

• That wizard is by and large only use to track what all you have completed and does not migrate anything by itself.

Follow the  guide and you will see that to migrate most of the stuff you have to take manual steps,for eg for mailbox migration you have to use EMC,for user shares you use robocopy etc...

For users and group you use "Change User Role Wizard"....look through the migration guide and you will see that.....

Wednesday, December 28, 2011 12:56 AM
  • Hi,

From the problem description, I understand that you would like to migrate from SBS 2003 to SBS 2011.

SBS 2011 migration wizard is the SBS Migration Preparation Tool. It will help you to scan the health of the existing domain to identify many issues that may prevent a successful migration and prepare the domain for SBS 2011.

For the detailed information about the SBS 2011 migration preparation tool, there is a link for your reference:

Title: Introducing the SBS 2011 Migration Preparation Tool

URL: http://blogs.technet.com/b/sbs/archive/2011/01/20/introducing-the-sbs-2011-migration-preparation-tool.aspx

If you would like to do the migration processing, there is a link including the detailed procedures to migrate from SBS 2003 to SBS 2011:

Title: Migrating to Windows Small Business Server 2011 Standard

URL: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg490796.aspx

Note: Please follow the procedures step by step. Each step will be the key point to be a successful migration.

Regards,

James

James Xiong

Thursday, December 29, 2011 9:04 AM
  • Hi,

Any Update?

James

James Xiong

Monday, January 02, 2012 1:29 AM