none
User group do not see VM in cloud in VMM console

Question

• I'm been having difficulty understand if there is any inheritance that takes place with clouds and user group that are assigned to it.

This is what I've done;

-Created private cloud

-Create user group Application Admin (self-service)

-Assigned the Cloud to the Scope of the user group

-In the global permissions of the user group I added; Checkpoint,Local Admin,Remote Connection, Shutdown, Start, Stop

Problem
    When I deploy a VM to the Cloud, the users in the usergroup do not see the VM in VMM console

Shouldn't they see the VM since it's an object in the cloud the group is assigned?

To workaround this I need to manually add the VM as a Resource in the user group.

I want the users to automatically see new VMs in the Cloud that they are assigned. Can this be configured in VMM?

Friday, March 07, 2014 4:54 PM

Answers

• Users request VMs via an internal resource management tool. Once approved this starts an orchestrator runbook to deploy the VM. I suppose if I set the owner (in the runbook) to the requester this will solve the problem. However, users often share VMs, therefore I would need to share access which is why I created clouds.

While writing this I discovered that I can added a User Roles in the VM that has shared access with the Owner. I'll need to play around with this but it may solve my issue.
    • Marked as answer by Paul77MTL Tuesday, April 22, 2014 7:54 PM
    Thursday, March 13, 2014 3:27 PM

All replies

• In what user context are you deploying these VMs? The user who deploy a VM will become the owner of that resource. If you want other users/self-service users to view/have access, you must explicit give access to that user group on the VM level.

-kn

Kristian (Virtualization and some coffee: http://kristiannese.blogspot.com )

Sunday, March 09, 2014 4:18 PM
  • Users request VMs via an internal resource management tool. Once approved this starts an orchestrator runbook to deploy the VM. I suppose if I set the owner (in the runbook) to the requester this will solve the problem. However, users often share VMs, therefore I would need to share access which is why I created clouds.

While writing this I discovered that I can added a User Roles in the VM that has shared access with the Owner. I'll need to play around with this but it may solve my issue.
    • Marked as answer by Paul77MTL Tuesday, April 22, 2014 7:54 PM
    Thursday, March 13, 2014 3:27 PM