none
Windows 2012 Server network adapter order

Question

• Hello Everyone,

I am currently installing Windows 2012 Server onto HP ProLiant DL380 Gen8 servers with the HP Ethernet 1Gb 4-port 366i Adapter.  I am noticing that the "order" of the network ports is always off, meaning, NIC1 is not always represented as Adapter 1 in the OS.  This is pretty random with a few installs, NIC2 is Adapter 4 so on and so on.  When I uninstall the adapters via the Windows Device Manager they come in randomly as well.

Has anyone else experienced this with Windows 2012 Server?  I have installed the August Windows 2012 Server Rollup as well as the Sept. HP SPP. 

Thanks for the help.

~ Chicago

Tuesday, October 08, 2013 2:23 PM

Answers

• This is nothing new.  It's been that way since the beginning.  When the system boots the first time, it queries the PCI bus to ask what adapters are on it.  The adapters respond, but they can respond in any order.  As they respond, their 'location' is locked so the next time you boot they will come up the same way.  But there is not anything you can do about it.  I've seen exactly the same configured systems - new, out-of-the-box - configured with the exact same options come up with NICs in different orders.

Is is causing an issue?  This is something people have been working around for years and years.  The latest thing that Microsoft includes (2012) is something called 'customer defined NICs' or some such thing.  Using that capability it is possible to 'brand' each NIC so that you can read the information to know which NIC you have.

.:|:.:|:. tim

Tuesday, October 08, 2013 10:10 PM
  • Hi,

In general, each NIC has a Local Area Connection. If you add a new NIC, it will add a new Local Area Connection in the Network Connection page.

Sometimes if you replace PCI slot or reinstall a NIC driver, it will automatic identify the previous NIC and create a new Local Area Connection. The number of Local Area Connection is not equal to the number of your NIC.

You can change the name of Local Area Connection by right-clicking it and rename it as desired to reflect the network connections and to avoid confusion.

In addition, you can change the binding order of network adapters under the Adapters and Bindings tab. However, binding order on your NICs may change over reboots of the server. If you plan to have multiple NICs with Gateways you can use the Interface Metric registry key to determine which NIC will have preference for outbound connectivity.

Best regards,

Susie

Wednesday, October 09, 2013 9:19 AM

All replies

• This is nothing new.  It's been that way since the beginning.  When the system boots the first time, it queries the PCI bus to ask what adapters are on it.  The adapters respond, but they can respond in any order.  As they respond, their 'location' is locked so the next time you boot they will come up the same way.  But there is not anything you can do about it.  I've seen exactly the same configured systems - new, out-of-the-box - configured with the exact same options come up with NICs in different orders.

Is is causing an issue?  This is something people have been working around for years and years.  The latest thing that Microsoft includes (2012) is something called 'customer defined NICs' or some such thing.  Using that capability it is possible to 'brand' each NIC so that you can read the information to know which NIC you have.

.:|:.:|:. tim

Tuesday, October 08, 2013 10:10 PM
  • Hi,

In general, each NIC has a Local Area Connection. If you add a new NIC, it will add a new Local Area Connection in the Network Connection page.

Sometimes if you replace PCI slot or reinstall a NIC driver, it will automatic identify the previous NIC and create a new Local Area Connection. The number of Local Area Connection is not equal to the number of your NIC.

You can change the name of Local Area Connection by right-clicking it and rename it as desired to reflect the network connections and to avoid confusion.

In addition, you can change the binding order of network adapters under the Adapters and Bindings tab. However, binding order on your NICs may change over reboots of the server. If you plan to have multiple NICs with Gateways you can use the Interface Metric registry key to determine which NIC will have preference for outbound connectivity.

Best regards,

Susie

Wednesday, October 09, 2013 9:19 AM