none
Hyper-V role on File Server

Question

• Hi there,

I need advice.

currently I have 1 server that already installed File server, which authorization controlled by AD on same server.

I plan to add role Hyper-V, since I can't install SQL server physically.

my specification is:

windows 2008 enterprise R2

16 GB ram, 2.4 GHz Quad Core.

Is it possible for me, to add Hyper-V role, and install either Windows 2003 Standard Sp2 or windows 2008 standard r2? I just want to run SQL server 2000 / 2008

thanks.

Monday, September 30, 2013 6:06 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Yes you can install Hyper-V role on this server and create a Windows 2008 R2 VM for SQL 2008 R2 on this.

You can assign 8 GB memory for host and 8 GB for guest Operating systems.

BR.

Monday, September 30, 2013 7:22 AM
  • Hi,

I've tried to add role Hyper-V, but after restart, all users can't connect to the server. Ping to server bring result host can't be found.

the server has one adapter network with 4 ports.

thanks

Tuesday, October 01, 2013 1:40 AM
  • Hi

An Hyper-V running on a DC is against the bestpractice. (as it will too surely make your DC multihomed at the same time)

For an SQL server in virtual if it's used as a datastore for a thirdpart product, many of them refuse to support a sql virtual server as it will really impact negatively the speed of the application.

Thanks

MCP | MCTS - Exchange 2007, Configuring | Member of TechNet Wiki Community Council | French Moderator on TechNet Wiki (Translation Widget)

Tuesday, October 01, 2013 4:10 AM
  • Hi,

thanks for reply.

My goal is, to make one server as File server (which authentication use Active Directory), and SQL Server for running 3rd part application.

the server seems to over spec if only used for file server.

btw, just curious, why after add role Hyper-V, the server can't be found on network?

waiting for advice.

thanks.

• Edited by SopoIki Tuesday, October 01, 2013 7:00 AM
    Tuesday, October 01, 2013 6:57 AM
  • Hi there,

I need advice.

currently I have 1 server that already installed File server, which authorization controlled by AD on same server.

I plan to add role Hyper-V, since I can't install SQL server physically.

my specification is:

windows 2008 enterprise R2

16 GB ram, 2.4 GHz Quad Core.

Is it possible for me, to add Hyper-V role, and install either Windows 2003 Standard Sp2 or windows 2008 standard r2? I just want to run SQL server 2000 / 2008

thanks.

Combination of a file server and SQL Server sharing the same hardware is a crazy idea (unless at least one of them deals with an ice cold data).

StarWind iSCSI SAN & NAS

Tuesday, October 01, 2013 9:20 AM
  • hi VR38DETT,

thanks for reply. is that still crazy idea if I implement Hyper-V? so sql server run under Hyper-V?

May you please give me the reason why you say it so?

thanks in advance

Tuesday, October 01, 2013 11:13 AM
  • 1. Do not make experiments on production environment. Create small pilot test. Here are several good advices but you need better and deeper undestanding.

2. If configured improperly, after Hyper-V is installed the problém may be in NICs IP settings. And more, DC does not like multihome.

Regards

Milos

Tuesday, October 01, 2013 12:02 PM
  • For SQL you need a high IOPS, in virtual you add a layer that make the IO slower. That's why a virtual SQL server for prod in hyper-v or any other hypervisor is not recommended at all.

For the DC & hyper-v it's the NIC's problem it cause & if you want the free license you need a clean hyper-v in the physical server, and Microsoft give you free the virtual license (depending on the windows server license you have)

MCP | MCTS - Exchange 2007, Configuring | Member of TechNet Wiki Community Council | French Moderator on TechNet Wiki (Translation Widget)

Tuesday, October 01, 2013 12:50 PM
  • hi VR38DETT,

thanks for reply. is that still crazy idea if I implement Hyper-V? so sql server run under Hyper-V?

May you please give me the reason why you say it so?

thanks in advance

It's a bad idea to make SQL Server co-exist with anything. So no file server role (you want all CPU and all IOPS from all spindles). And think twice about virtualizating SQL Server.

StarWind iSCSI SAN & NAS

Tuesday, October 01, 2013 8:01 PM
  • In all case, if you do it, you better to do it like that; Hyper-V host. VM #1 DC & FileServer VM#2 SQL.

A BIG warning, why I told you to not do it is simple in my experiance;

1) Your users will hate you in 1 year as it will be slow and you will have to redo it correctly.

2) Your users will hate you in 1 year as it will be slow and they will hire someone else to redo it.

3) You might loose your name.

Now, you better have a virtual DC (even if it's not recommanded at all) than having one multihomed on the Hyper-V.

I list all case, but if you do it against the bestpractice, atleast do it the best way AND make sure you make your customer sign a paper that they accept it can be slow. So you will not loose your name if it's not usable.

Tuesday, October 01, 2013 9:54 PM
  • Vegan, Yes, but did you talked to third part programmer that install software that use an SQL instance ???  Like Microsoft GreatPlains, they will NEVER support you if the SQL is virtual, like maestro, etc.....

So if you install it virtual, and got a problem, it's all on your hands to resolve.

But it agree I seen some SQL that went pretty well in virtual. It all depend on the spec of what will use the SQL, but you better check before installing it.

Tuesday, October 01, 2013 10:01 PM
  • hi,

thanks for all input. I want to clear several things :)

database will be used for application that use SQL database. but workload of the application not so heavy, just a simple accounting software (maybe similar with Dynamic NAV with basic package/bundled).

AD in this server used only for authentication sharing folder. for log-on information, user use different AD (and different physical server).

Since SQL Server 2008 and above can't be join with AD in one server, that's why I'm trying to figure out. For my company's scale, budget which had spent for this server is pretty expensive, therefore we/I need to maximize this server :)

hope I can get the solution, without buy another server :D

thanks in advance

Friday, October 04, 2013 5:10 AM
  • Hi Vegan,

thanks for answer.

I need to know:

- What are the issues which will occur?

- let say if I still use 1 server for AD (installed on host), then add role Hyper-V (for run SQL Server database).

what is I need to DOs and DONTs.

anyone, kindly please give me help :)

thanks

Monday, October 07, 2013 7:40 AM
  • Hi Vegan,

thanks for reply.

currently we have 2 DC. all in physical servers. DC-1 for logon information, DC-2 used for authentication file sharing.

DC-2 (which have 4 ethernet ports), I plan to install SQL server 2008 too. but since DC (AD) can't be joined with another Job, especially with SQL Server, I plan to add role Hyper-V on that server so I can add SQL Server into virtual server.

if the user not more than 10, and the server has 6 cores processor, 16 GB Ram, is it enough?

thanks.

Wednesday, October 09, 2013 2:17 AM
  • strictly not recommended to have Hyper-v role on DC / ADC .

How about the below approach:

Virtualize both domain controllers.

or

Virtualize 1 domain controller and create a VM --> install server --> promote to ADC --> transfer roles from DC2

After validation , demote the DC-2 . In this approach you would require access from Internal network ( virtual switch ) to physical network where your DC1 is hosted.

Wednesday, October 09, 2013 2:52 AM
  • hi Sainath IRP_MJ_CREATE,

thanks for advice. But your approach can't be done by me, because that approach will need the current system to be power off. and that's mean users can't access the server during this.

why new version of windows server more likely make limitation to the user?

I just wondering, windows 2003 can install SQL server and AD, they can run smoothly together in 1 server and 1 system (not using virtual).

thanks in advance

Wednesday, October 09, 2013 6:22 AM