none
Blue Screen on newer Dell Latitude E6410 with Windows 7 on install

Question

• Ok, this is one that's really stumped me...

I'm attempting to deploy Windows 7 32-bit and 64-bit to the newer model E6410s (purchased in the last several months). The system installs the Operating System, then reboots after the 'installing updates' step on the Windows 7 setup wizard and gets stuck in a blue screen loop at the 'Setup is starting services...'.  The blue screen error is ' The Windows Driver Framework has detected that a violation has occurred,' then the system performs a memory dump and reboots 3-4 times, followed by the following Windows error:

'The computer restarted unexpectedly or encountered an unexpected error.  Windows installation cannot proceed.  To install Windows, click “Ok” to restart the computer, and then restart the installation.'

I disabled the Windows Updates through the OS on install by changing the ProtectYourPC setting from 1 to 3 in the unattend.xml file but that doesn't appear to have fixed the driver issues. I also updated the network driver in MSDT to the latest version and disabled the older versions, and updated the BIOS from A05 to A06 (latest version), no change.

The image works fine on all other computers, including older model E6410s. The only differences I can tell between the two systems are the processor (Core i5 vs. newer i7) and the memory type and amount (3 GB vs 4 GB).

Note that this does not occur on the same computer when deploying Windows XP to it.

Any ideas?  I know there's been a few posts here on the E6410s already but none of them have fixed my issue.

Thursday, December 30, 2010 3:44 PM

All replies

• You have a bad driver. And you need someone to debug it.
    Keith Garner (KeithGa.com) - Deployment Consultant - http://deployment.XtremeConsulting.com
    Thursday, December 30, 2010 8:56 PM
  • Might be a different problem but there was a bad NIC Driver that dell released that would crash when you transfered data over the network. i called them and they released a new driver the next day. make sure you are using the latest NIC Driver. Let me know if that helps.
    Thursday, December 30, 2010 11:57 PM
  • This looks like a driver issue. Try the Manufacturer's drivers e.g. Intel and not the driver bundled by the supplier e.g. Dell or HP for this specific model. I've seen this on Chipset drivers. In my case it turned out to be that the newer version inf did not work at all with the model PC released when deploying with SCCM even though I could install it manually...

Monday, January 03, 2011 8:43 AM
  • I think I found the issue.  I couldn't find the same issue on an E6410, but I found a reference to an E6510 that was doing the same thing.  Apparently MSDT is either not installing the correct drivers or it's not installing them in the right order.

I created a new folder under Out-of-Box drivers in MSDT for just the E6410 and placed only the drivers from Dell's driver pack there.  Then, I created a selection profile that contained only that E6410 drivers folder.  Then, I created a new Deployment task that was a duplicate of my previous Windows 7 task, but changed one item.  I went to the Task Sequence tab under Properties and selected the Inject Drivers option under PreInstall tasks.  From there I changed the selection profile to the E6410 one I created and told it to Install only matching drivers from the selection profile.

I just ran the installer again, and no more blue screens.  I haven't tried it on 64-bit yet but it will probably work there as well.

Monday, January 03, 2011 5:39 PM