none
2011 Essentials remote access setup question...

Question

• I am just installing Essentials 2011 and want to use remote access. Currently have 10 computer peer-to-peer with one node acting as the "file server". Remote access is currently VPN into static IP address DSL modem with a Server 2003 box only providing RAS services. Remote desktop is then used. We have a domain hosted by Earthlink but only use it for  public information and email. What would be the best way to setup remote access with 2011 Essentials, in the scenario? I would like to eliminate the VPN's and 2003 box, if possible. Thanks!

Jim Wells

Monday, October 21, 2013 3:12 PM

All replies

• Hi ,

Thank you for posting your issue in the forum.

I am trying to involve someone familiar with this topic to further look at this issue. There might be some time delay. Appreciate your patience.

Thank you for your understanding and support.

Best Regards,

Andy Qi

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time.
    Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Wednesday, October 23, 2013 11:04 AM
  • By using RWA you have to fulfill the following steps:

Port forward your WAN Static ip (port 443 and 80) to your server's internal ip address.

Purchase a certificate for your remote.mydomain.xxx by using the wizard to setup your Domain manually.

This will eliminate the warnings you will get in your browser when you visit the RWA website that you will setup in your essentials.

and then join your pc's to the Essentials network.

By setting up RWA you eliminate the need for VPN to your network.

From essentials Dashboard you can setup network shares and provide users access to this shares as well as remote desktop access to your pc's.

As far as the email goes you can consider Office 365  which integrates quite well with Essentials 2011. 

Sunday, October 27, 2013 12:29 PM
  • Thanks! This should at least get me going!

Jim Wells

Monday, October 28, 2013 1:12 PM
  • By using RWA you have to fulfill the following steps:

Port forward your WAN Static ip (port 443 and 80) to your server's internal ip address.

Purchase a certificate for your remote.mydomain.xxx by using the wizard to setup your Domain manually.

This will eliminate the warnings you will get in your browser when you visit the RWA website that you will setup in your essentials.

and then join your pc's to the Essentials network.

By setting up RWA you eliminate the need for VPN to your network.

From essentials Dashboard you can setup network shares and provide users access to this shares as well as remote desktop access to your pc's.

As far as the email goes you can consider Office 365  which integrates quite well with Essentials 2011. 

Are there specific instructions for setting up remote desktop access to their PC's? I read a few items today that suggest remote desktop access is unavailable in Essentials. If this is true, what options are available to get users to their desktops? The primary requirement for desktop access is Quickbooks Enterprise. Thanks!

Jim Wells

Tuesday, October 29, 2013 10:16 PM