none
SBS2003 R2 Reporting - The system has reached the maximum size allowed for the system part of the registry

Question

• Hi,

I got this message dialogue on login on SBS 2003 R2.

The system has reached the maximum size allowed for the system part of the registry. Additional storage requests will be ignored.?

I used a program called "NT Registry Optimizer" to get myself out of trouble temporarily but it has happened again. On disk the system registry reaches 4608kb and then gives this message. As far as my research goes there shouldn't really be a limit for the system registry on SBS 2003 R2. I tried recreating the page file as another forum suggested a corrupted page file could be the cause but that didn't help.

Any other ideas to help me?

Wednesday, July 21, 2010 9:05 AM

All replies

• Sounds a bit like your swap file has been corrupted... but you tested that already.
    Have you recreated the page file by doing this?
    *) Create an additional swap-file at another partition (like d:\)
    *) Set the swap file at the location you had to "No paging file"
    *) Reboot your server.
    *) If desired, set the pagingfile back to the origional location, but be sure to check if it's gone before you do so!

That was the solution in my case a few years back on w2k3 SP2.

But back to troubleshooting...
    What is the size of your %windir%\system directory?
    To my knowledge, there is some registry limit around 100 MB, but don't know for sure...
    If the directory is larger the 20MB, then you will need to check where the data is comming from... which part of the registry system hyve is the cause...

Good luck!

Wednesday, July 21, 2010 9:48 AM
  • Any associated event logs to report?
    -Kevin Weilbacher (SBS MVP)
    "The days pass by so quickly now, the nights are seldom long"
    KW Support MVP Blog
    MVP's do NOT work for Microsoft. We give our time freely to support the SBS community!
    Wednesday, July 21, 2010 11:57 AM
  • Take a look at the following articles if you find Event 333 showing up in the Event logs:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/askperf/archive/2007/10/30/troubleshooting-event-id-333-errors.aspx

http://www.windowsitpro.com/article/registry2/troubleshooting-the-infamous-event-id-333-errors.aspx

-Kevin Weilbacher (SBS MVP)
    "The days pass by so quickly now, the nights are seldom long"
    KW Support MVP Blog
    MVP's do NOT work for Microsoft. We give our time freely to support the SBS community!
    Wednesday, July 21, 2010 12:03 PM
  • Hi all,

The message came up again after I tried to install .net framework 3.5 sp1 and rebooted. Must have filled up because IIS Admin service got a corrupt metabase and would not start. I had to recover the metabase from history to get it restarted.

Jeff -

Yes I removed the swap file rebooted and recreated it. I did not however try putting a swap file on a different drive which I will try tonight as I do not wish to disrupt them during BH.

%windir%/system is 908k but I didn't think that was the registry?? I did an export of the system registry and it is 20mb. With just the currentcontrolset it is around 8Mb.

Kevin -

I can't see any other error events happening when 333 occurs.

I only get the 333 error when something tries to write to the registry after it boots and reports that system registry is full. After I defraged the registry it went away but has come back again when something was installed and the registry on disk reaches 4608kb again.

I looked at your links. In the perfmon I found that %registry quota in use is sitting steady at 93.242% which seems high to me. How do I diagnose this more though?

The server is running Trend Micro Worry-Free Advanced server for A/V and Storagecraft shadowprotect for backups. These would both have filter drivers I am sure. Perhaps uninstalling them and re-installing might point to the issue?

Thanks.

Tuesday, July 27, 2010 2:13 AM