none
Restore old Exchange 2003 mailbox while running with Working Exchange 2010 Server

Question

• Hello,

I've migrated all my folders from the old exchange 2003 server to the NEW Exchange 2010 Server.

I had one user who claims to have lost a folder even though the migration logs show no problems?

I have a backup of the Exchange 2003 Information Store before the migration.  My question is.. Can I run through an

Exchange 2003 Mailbox Restore to a Recorvery Database on the old Exchange 2003 Server - without hurting the NEWLY created migrated mailbox in the Exchange 2010 server?

I just want to make sure that if I restore the old 2003 mailbox that it doesn't effect the new 2010 server mailbox for that user.  I can't see how it should be effected?  Just want to make sure before I begin the 2003 restore process.

Thanks.

Tuesday, November 26, 2013 11:08 PM

Answers

• Great info from Amy, however a few things to consider;

1. ExMerge is great in many ways, however it can only create ANSI based PST files which has a hard limit of 2GB PST files.  If you have a mailbox that is larger you need to ensure you break up the PST export so that none of the PST files are over 2GB and should plan on stopping them at about 1.8GB to give yourself come buffer room.   If you don't do this and the PST goes over 2GB it becomes corrupted and ExMerge will not tell you this.  Instead when you go to open the PST its not usable.  So while its possible to use ExMerge and its free there are limitations to this.

2. If you want to go this direction because its free I would suggest that instead of using ExMerge to export all the mailboxes that instead you use Outlook or use some 3rd party tool that can do the exports for you using the UNICODE PST format since it has a 20GB limit and IMO is more stable the ANSI PST files.

3. You can then import the PST's via Outlook or the import cmdlets and you can learn more about them here http://exchangeserverpro.com/exchange-2010-import-pst-files-mailboxes/ and IF you go this route be sure that your 2010 server is fully patched since there have been numerous issues with PST imports in 2010.

4. If you want to avoid the PST shuffle migration process then you should consider a 3rd party product that allows you to do direct import from the offline EDB into the Production Exchange server.  Kroll, Lucid8 and Quest make solid, reliable products for your consideration

Search, Recover, & Extract Mailboxes, Folders, & Email Items from Offline Exchange Mailbox and Public Folder EDB's and Live Exchange Servers or Import/Migrate direct from Offline EDB to Any Production Exchange Server, even cross version i.e. 2003 --> 2007 --> 2010 --> 2013 with Lucid8's DigiScope

• Marked as answer by danm190 Wednesday, November 27, 2013 5:17 PM
    Wednesday, November 27, 2013 2:36 PM

All replies

• Should have no effect, all you're doing so restoring a DB to check the mailbox contents.

Sukh

Wednesday, November 27, 2013 12:05 AM
    1. Well if you are restoring a 2003 EDB you would need to still have an operational Exchange 2003 server so that you can restore the backup to the RSG
    2. NOTE you CANNOT load the 2003 into the 2010 RDB system, you must use the 2003 server and the RSG options.
    3. If you are interested in 3rd party tools, check out Lucid8's DigiScope http://www.lucid8.com/product/digiscope.asp so that you can OPEN, BROWSE, SEARCH, EXPORT to PST & MSG, MIGRATE or recover data directly from an Offline Exchange Database into the original OR any other alternate Exchange server and you can even do cross version restores/migrations i.e.2003 --> 2007 --> 2010 etc.
    4. BTW you can download the full product and get a DEMO license that will allow you to open, browse, search through any of the mailboxes and even do a 1 time randomized export to PST for your review.

Search, Recover, & Extract Mailboxes, Folders, & Email Items from Offline Exchange Mailbox and Public Folder EDB's and Live Exchange Servers or Import/Migrate direct from Offline EDB to Any Production Exchange Server, even cross version i.e. 2003 --> 2007 --> 2010 --> 2013 with Lucid8's DigiScope

Wednesday, November 27, 2013 9:13 AM
  • Hi Danm,

Generally, it won't have an impact on the user's mailbox on Exchange 2010. I recommend you follow the steps below to restore the mailbox.

1. Please recover the full database backup to the Exchange 2003 server via RSG.

2. Use ExMerge as outlined in the following article to export the contents which you needed to .PST.

How to use Recovery Storage Groups in Exchange Server 2003

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/824126/en-us

3. Import the .pst file via Outlook or EMS.

What's more, here is a thread for your reference.

How to recover or to restore a single mailbox in Exchange Server 2003

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/823176/en-us

Hope my clarification is helpful.

Best regards,
    Amy

Amy Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, November 27, 2013 12:24 PM
  • Great info from Amy, however a few things to consider;

1. ExMerge is great in many ways, however it can only create ANSI based PST files which has a hard limit of 2GB PST files.  If you have a mailbox that is larger you need to ensure you break up the PST export so that none of the PST files are over 2GB and should plan on stopping them at about 1.8GB to give yourself come buffer room.   If you don't do this and the PST goes over 2GB it becomes corrupted and ExMerge will not tell you this.  Instead when you go to open the PST its not usable.  So while its possible to use ExMerge and its free there are limitations to this.

2. If you want to go this direction because its free I would suggest that instead of using ExMerge to export all the mailboxes that instead you use Outlook or use some 3rd party tool that can do the exports for you using the UNICODE PST format since it has a 20GB limit and IMO is more stable the ANSI PST files.

3. You can then import the PST's via Outlook or the import cmdlets and you can learn more about them here http://exchangeserverpro.com/exchange-2010-import-pst-files-mailboxes/ and IF you go this route be sure that your 2010 server is fully patched since there have been numerous issues with PST imports in 2010.

4. If you want to avoid the PST shuffle migration process then you should consider a 3rd party product that allows you to do direct import from the offline EDB into the Production Exchange server.  Kroll, Lucid8 and Quest make solid, reliable products for your consideration

• Marked as answer by danm190 Wednesday, November 27, 2013 5:17 PM
    Wednesday, November 27, 2013 2:36 PM
  • Here is what I did to fix it... 

I ran through the Restore process to a RSG Group...

I tried to use the EXmerge Tool but it FAILED.... Surprise..Not to me...;)  

The original mailbox was moved to an Exchange 2010 server.. so the Exmerge tool failed to find a mailbox?  I got crazy long stupid error..

So once I had the EDB file.. I just used a third party utility to extract the missing mailbox folder.

More interesting.. WHY did my migration to 2010 delete a folder during the migration process?  Maybe the reason is the original folder had an apostrophe in the name  "nabra's"   

It seems the migration move deleted the folder?  But didn't report any errors in the move request log?

I am soooo sooo happy to be away from Exchange 2003.

Wednesday, November 27, 2013 5:21 PM