none
How to offer remote assistance in Windows 7 using run as?

Question

• Hi there,

Anyone has found a method to start remote assistance as a someone else? Especially the "Advanced Connection option for Helpdesk users". This is because my administrator account have more credentials than ordinary users.

--
    Petri
    Monday, October 05, 2009 10:43 AM

Answers

All replies

• Could you give us more information? Do you mean Remote Desktop or Remote Assistance? Is your computer the host or guest?

If you mean Remote Assistance, you may need to create another administrator account and log on with it.

Arthur Xie - MSFT
    Tuesday, October 06, 2009 9:24 AM
  • And I though my question was simple and clear :D

But I'll try again:

> Do you mean Remote Desktop or Remote Assistance?
    I would like to offer remote assistance for my users. Not Remote Desktop.

>  Is your computer the host or guest?
    Not sure what do you mean by host or guest. But I understood this as end-user is host, and the person offering RA is guest.

> If you mean Remote Assistance, you may need to create another administrator account and log on with it.
    As on the subject I write: "run as". I do have admin account which have credentials to offer remote assistance for users on their workstations. But I don't want to do real logon, because I like to use my normal user account for all other work. So "RunAs" has been solution in WinXP.

--
    Petri
    Tuesday, October 06, 2009 7:23 PM
  • When helpers connect they will use the current logged on user account. If the helper need to do some tasks that require administrator privilege, just keep UAC enabled. When UAC window pops-up, enter user name\password of an administrator account to pass the UAC prompt.
    Arthur Xie - MSFT
    Friday, October 09, 2009 7:24 AM
  • ..I want to start the Remote Assistance from my own workstation using RunAs. That is because my normal account does not have rights to offer remote assistance, but my admin account have. So now, if I have to offer remote assistance to end-user, I have to logoff from my workstation and login using my admin account. When the case is over, I logoff my admin account and login using my normal account to see the next case. Then logoff...  Sound not so clever.

So I have tried to run "HelpPane.exe" using runas, but no luck so far.

--
    Petri
    Wednesday, October 14, 2009 7:56 PM
  • Try This:  (For Windows 7)

Create a shortcut with the following Target:
    %windir%\system32\msra.exe /offerra

Now Try this with the shortcut:
    Shift + Right Click Shortcut
    Select RunAs a Different User

http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/run-as-different-user-option-inbuilt-windows-7/

Wednesday, October 28, 2009 3:25 PM
  • Exactly what I was looking for! I do this 12 times a day at least and just switched to Windows 7 and it was maddening finding anything about "remote assistance" or "offer remote!"

Thanks!
    Tuesday, February 09, 2010 9:56 PM
  • Here you find some screenshots to implement this with GPOs

http://www.cloudtec.ch/blog/tech/remote-assistance-windows7-kostenlos-fernwartung.html

Sunday, May 22, 2011 8:52 PM
  • That article for the GPO's is not working... Also I am trying to offer remote assistance by IP and the users comp has remote desktop enabled is there any other settings that needs to be enabled to allow this to work?
    Friday, September 06, 2013 3:56 PM
  • Try This:  (For Windows 7)

Create a shortcut with the following Target:
    %windir%\system32\msra.exe /offerra

Now Try this with the shortcut:
    Shift + Right Click Shortcut
    Select RunAs a Different User

this worked a treat if i go on the it help deck now i can actuly help lmao thanks
    Wednesday, October 09, 2013 10:38 AM