none
write-caching policy not restored after reboot.

Question

• The problem I've been experiencing is very similar to this old one from server 2000:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290757

After a system restart, the write-caching policy is not being saved on the server and the settings are not persistent.

The system hardware is an Intel RST express chipset, and the Intel Raid 5 Volume (Microsoft version) driver is 6.2.9200.16384 (win3_rtm.120725-1247)

are there any hotfixes available for this driver to correct the problem on server 2012?

Thursday, August 15, 2013 8:58 PM

Answers

• I have finally found an answer.

Since my server has AD, caching is automatically disabled and must be re-enabled after every restart.

This seems over the top.  Anyone running any server should know better and have backup PSU in place.  I can understand the condition, but forcing the settings even after I have over-ridden should not happen in my mind.

regardless, I could either script the caching and force it back myself... or just not use the system for AD.  I'll choose the later.

I am curious to know if AD LDS suffers from this forced non-caching policy.

• Marked as answer by tsw Friday, August 22, 2014 4:40 AM
    Friday, August 22, 2014 4:40 AM
  • ya, I can give that a try.. why not.

Do you have any hints on the registry paths for those values, or is there a quick cmdlet for the cache policy?

Of course you can. See:

Enable or Disable Disk Cache

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/winsdk/archive/2009/10/09/enable-or-disable-enable-write-caching-on-disk-behavior-on-disk.aspx

You can write a tiny app in C or C# enabling / disabling disk cache settings and use PowerShell to spawn it, handle scripting and scheduling.

StarWind VSAN [Virtual SAN] clusters Hyper-V without SAS, Fibre Channel, SMB 3.0 or iSCSI, uses Ethernet to mirror internally mounted SATA disks between hosts.

• Marked as answer by tsw Friday, August 22, 2014 11:31 PM
    Friday, August 22, 2014 3:18 PM

All replies

• The problem I've been experiencing is very similar to this old one from server 2000:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290757

After a system restart, the write-caching policy is not being saved on the server and the settings are not persistent.

The system hardware is an Intel RST express chipset, and the Intel Raid 5 Volume (Microsoft version) driver is 6.2.9200.16384 (win3_rtm.120725-1247)

are there any hotfixes available for this driver to correct the problem on server 2012?

Have a benchmark tool to compare write performance for the block device with cache set ON and OFF. For virtual LUN as RAID5 is I guess this setting does not have sense and is simply ignored (and not stored anywhere).

StarWind iSCSI SAN & NAS

Thursday, August 15, 2013 10:14 PM
  • Please let us know if there is any progress in comparing write performance as mentioend by VR38DETT.

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Saturday, August 17, 2013 3:58 PM
  • there is a significant different in performance:

with write cache enabled:

write cache disabled:

Saturday, August 17, 2013 6:49 PM
  • and to just clarify when I state "disabled", it is to turn off Windows write-cache buffer flushing.  the entire policy settings are not persistent.

Saturday, August 17, 2013 6:59 PM
  • Hi,

I searched in registry key and this value could help disable write-cache:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\IDE\DiskVirtual_HD______________________________1.1.0___\5&2807dd3&0&0.1.0\Device Parameters\Disk

"CacheIsPowerProtected"=dword:00000001

Thus please check if the value will be changed to 0 or removed after a reboot.

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, August 22, 2013 2:56 AM
  • in my case that key does not exist, but rather...

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\IDE\DiskVolume01.0.00__\4&1ec96dd5&0&0.0.0\Device Parameters\Disk]
    "UserWriteCacheSetting"=dword:00000000

the value does not change after reboot; however, the policy properties are reset to default. (both write cache polices are not checked as shown in screen image previously).

Thursday, August 22, 2013 5:25 AM
  • any updates related to this issue?
    Wednesday, September 11, 2013 9:42 PM
  • ... removed comment ...

appears this is not fixed.

• Edited by tsw Monday, October 28, 2013 12:51 PM
    Sunday, October 13, 2013 3:11 AM
  • I have the very same issue on my Windows Server 2012 Essentials.

I did "check for updates" but Windows didn't find any :/

The last updates (quite alote) were installed on 18-10-2013.

I have already rebooted since.. So they are all applied. But sill, the problem persist. And the performance are catastrophic :(

I read somewhere that this is possibly because the server is not battery backuped ?!

Valéry Letroye

Sunday, October 27, 2013 5:20 PM
  • I double checked after a restart today, and it does not in fact seem to be fixed.

this system is on a backup power system, so that is not the solution.

Monday, October 28, 2013 12:51 PM

Since my server has AD, caching is automatically disabled and must be re-enabled after every restart.

This seems over the top.  Anyone running any server should know better and have backup PSU in place.  I can understand the condition, but forcing the settings even after I have over-ridden should not happen in my mind.

regardless, I could either script the caching and force it back myself... or just not use the system for AD.  I'll choose the later.

• Marked as answer by tsw Friday, August 22, 2014 4:40 AM
    Friday, August 22, 2014 4:40 AM

Write a PowerShell script turning cache ON and put it into Scheduler :)

StarWind VSAN [Virtual SAN] clusters Hyper-V without SAS, Fibre Channel, SMB 3.0 or iSCSI, uses Ethernet to mirror internally mounted SATA disks between hosts.

Friday, August 22, 2014 6:51 AM

Do you have any hints on the registry paths for those values, or is there a quick cmdlet for the cache policy?

Friday, August 22, 2014 2:30 PM

Of course you can. See:

Enable or Disable Disk Cache

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/winsdk/archive/2009/10/09/enable-or-disable-enable-write-caching-on-disk-behavior-on-disk.aspx

You can write a tiny app in C or C# enabling / disabling disk cache settings and use PowerShell to spawn it, handle scripting and scheduling.

• Marked as answer by tsw Friday, August 22, 2014 11:31 PM
    Friday, August 22, 2014 3:18 PM
  • ah ha! some meat to chew on.. very nice.

Thank you sir!   I was considering re-writing my LCD powershell script in C#, so this could certainly be an added feature.

http://blugged.wordpress.com/

I bumped yours as the answer... thanks again!

Friday, August 22, 2014 11:34 PM
  • ah ha! some meat to chew on.. very nice.

Thank you sir!   I was considering re-writing my LCD powershell script in C#, so this could certainly be an added feature.

http://blugged.wordpress.com/

I bumped yours as the answer... thanks again!

Looks good! Please connect me over LinkedIn (account is in my profile) and I think we have a topic about C# to take off-the-thread :) Good luck!!!

Sunday, August 24, 2014 2:41 PM