none
How to format a system partition

Question

• Currently Win 8.1 Pro 64 Bit is the primary OS installed on the C drive.

Win 7 is installed on the D drive. The D drive also includes a 55MB OEM Partition and a 10GB unallocated space before the drive D partition. Drive D is the "system" partition

This system was configured for dual boot but now I no longer need to boot to Win 7.

I dropped Win 7 from boot up using MSConfig.

How can I format the Win 7 partition on the D drive to recover the space plus merge the unallocated space

When I run Diskmgmt the format and delete volume options are grayed out for drive D

Saturday, June 07, 2014 5:19 PM

Answers

• BV

I would use a 3rd party tool like easus partition master 9.0 (free to try), it is pretty much bullet proof

Wanikiya and Dyami--Team Zigzag

Saturday, June 07, 2014 6:03 PM

All replies

• BV

I would use a 3rd party tool like easus partition master 9.0 (free to try), it is pretty much bullet proof

Saturday, June 07, 2014 6:03 PM
  • The Win 7 partition on the D drive is the only "system" partition.

If I reformat this partition and/or delete it will this prevent the PC from booting?

Saturday, June 07, 2014 11:57 PM
  • BV

Yes.  DO you have a dvd to re-install it?  Unsure if you merely want to expand the system partition to include the una;llocated space & OEM space.

What exactly do you want to do?

Sunday, June 08, 2014 12:45 AM
  • The C drive is an SSD, the D drive is the original HD.

Ideally I would want the C drive partition to be the system partition and the Dr drive just data without Win 7 and the Programs.

I do have the Win 8 DVD but I was hoping for a less drastic process than reformatting both drives and starting over.

Sounds like the answer is just to expand the D drive partition using a 3rd party utility.

Thanks for your help.

Sunday, June 08, 2014 10:08 PM
  • Good luck and let us know if you need help with it,

Sunday, June 08, 2014 10:29 PM