none
Windows Server 2008 & VMWare & Domains

Question

• Hi all

I would like to know if it is possible to install Windows Server 2008 on VMWare Player or Oracle's Virtual Box on another PC (running Windows 7) and then connect my laptop to the Server 2008's domain? 

If it's possible can anyone please give me some tips on how to do so?

Thanks

Tuesday, November 26, 2013 2:32 PM

Answers

•   You cannot connect to the server from your laptop if the server is behind NAT. NAT is a one way address translation. You can connect to a device if you initiate the connection from behind NAT. You cannot connect from outside to a machine which is inside. This has nothing to do with virtual machines or virtual networks - that is how NAT works and the way it was designed to work.

You will need to use bridged networking (or whatever VMWare calls it - VirtualBox calls it bridged, Hyper-V calls it an external virtual network) so that the server and the laptop are in the same network. You will also need to ensure that the laptop is using the server's address for DNS if you want to join the domain.

Bill

Thursday, November 28, 2013 4:53 AM

All replies

• Yes, its possible. If you bind the vSwitch of VMM to host physical NIC, then plug host NIC into same switch as laptop you can be on same network and join domain.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/virtual_pc_guy/archive/2008/01/08/understanding-networking-with-hyper-v.aspx

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Wednesday, November 27, 2013 2:50 AM
  • Yes, its possible. If you bind the vSwitch of VMM to host physical NIC, then plug host NIC into same switch as laptop you can be on same network and join domain.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/virtual_pc_guy/archive/2008/01/08/understanding-networking-with-hyper-v.aspx

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Hi, I have installed the Server 2008 Standard on VMware Player. The network adapter is on NAT to replicate the Host's IP. I can Ping the laptop, but I can't ping the Virtual Machine?
    Wednesday, November 27, 2013 8:47 AM
  • Please post unedited ipconfig /all of physical, virtual and laptop.

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Wednesday, November 27, 2013 10:42 AM
  •   You cannot connect to the server from your laptop if the server is behind NAT. NAT is a one way address translation. You can connect to a device if you initiate the connection from behind NAT. You cannot connect from outside to a machine which is inside. This has nothing to do with virtual machines or virtual networks - that is how NAT works and the way it was designed to work.

You will need to use bridged networking (or whatever VMWare calls it - VirtualBox calls it bridged, Hyper-V calls it an external virtual network) so that the server and the laptop are in the same network. You will also need to ensure that the laptop is using the server's address for DNS if you want to join the domain.

Bill

Thursday, November 28, 2013 4:53 AM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the suggestions were helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

TechNet Subscriber Support

If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.

Regards, Yan Li

Friday, November 29, 2013 5:37 AM