none
Re-using a Power Query connection

Answers

• Makes sense. Just as an FYI, we're planning to do the work to enable the ability to preserve formatting and other downstream changes within a query cell range early in 2014.

Thanks,
    M.

Monday, October 21, 2013 2:34 PM
    Owner

All replies

• Hi Chris,

That should work, Excel supports creating tables based on existing connections. There is no Power Query piece involved here, the new table is not a PQ query, so you won't be able to edit it, combine it with other queries, etc.

I would like to understand the scenario in more detail. What does this give you that you can't achieve by duplicating or referencing the PQ query?

Thanks,
    M.

Friday, October 18, 2013 4:26 PM
    Owner
  • Thanks Miguel. I'm not worried about not being able to edit the query from this table - in fact, in some scenarios such as when you're building a dashboard, that would be an advantage.

The main thing it gives me right now is the ability to format values in a column using Excel's Format Cells functionality, and not have the formatting disappear when I refresh the query. I'm sure there would be other benefits if I thought about it :-)

Chris

Check out my MS BI blog I also do SSAS, PowerPivot, MDX and DAX consultancy and run public SQL Server and BI training courses in the UK

Monday, October 21, 2013 8:29 AM
  • Makes sense. Just as an FYI, we're planning to do the work to enable the ability to preserve formatting and other downstream changes within a query cell range early in 2014.

Thanks,
    M.

Monday, October 21, 2013 2:34 PM
    Owner
  • Cool. It would also be nice if we could:

• Control which sheet and position the table ended up in
    • Not see a table in the worksheet at all if Load to Worksheet is disabled
    • Control all of this before the query gets run, rather than in the query pane in the worksheet

Thanks!

Chris

Check out my MS BI blog I also do SSAS, PowerPivot, MDX and DAX consultancy and run public SQL Server and BI training courses in the UK

Monday, October 21, 2013 3:03 PM
  • "Control which sheet and position the table ended up in"

Currently, when I create multiple custom functions in a specific PQ model, I end up manually consolidating all of the function queries in a single sheet, adding documentation next to each table, and deleting the subsequently blank worksheets. A trivial task, but would be better if I could just specify the cell where I want each function query to be put in the first place.

Tuesday, October 29, 2013 3:26 PM