none
Windows Server Update

Question

• Dear All,
    If We are Windows Administrator,
    As frequently, I saw that at Clients' computers i saw we always make windows update..
    So about Windows Server, Should we update frequently or we have scheduled update it ?
    because Updated Windows i always saw that, it's demand to restart machine.. so i am not clear about Windows Server that we should update or no?
    I would like thanks for all your help.
    Regards,
    Monday, July 14, 2014 2:32 PM

Answers

• Yes, you should set up a schedule that makes sense for your environment.  Servers are just as important, or even more important in my mind, to keep up to date with security patches.  Whether or not a reboot is required is completely dependent upon the type of patch.  Yes, it often does require a reboot.

What I have seen in many larger shops is the security department reviewing the patches as they are released.  If the security department deems a patch must be applied, it is applied as soon as possible.  It might only be one of 15 patches, but if they deem it necessary, they apply it ASAP.  Then they will have a quarterly maintenance cycle during which they will apply all other patches.  That way, they may not need to reboot their servers but once every three months.

But, those were business decisions made by those companies.  Each company needs to go through the same process to determine when/how to apply patches.

. : | : . : | : . tim

Monday, July 14, 2014 3:55 PM
  • Thanks you so much for your great explaining..

I am learning day by day about this.

Best Regards,

• Marked as answer by VeasnaYIM Thursday, July 24, 2014 4:38 AM
    Tuesday, July 22, 2014 8:27 PM
  • Yes. I agree. Update monthly or so according to your business plan. Do backups Too!

W.Maxx MCITP MCSE MCSA MCP 2k8 2k3 2k nt4 AD, Exchange, DNS, msProject, SharePoint IBM iSeries RIM blackberry

Tuesday, July 22, 2014 9:07 PM
  • Hi,

According to your description, I think the answer is helpful for you. So I will mark it as answer, if you have any updates, please feel free to let us know.

Thank you.

Thursday, July 24, 2014 2:18 AM

All replies

• Yes, you should set up a schedule that makes sense for your environment.  Servers are just as important, or even more important in my mind, to keep up to date with security patches.  Whether or not a reboot is required is completely dependent upon the type of patch.  Yes, it often does require a reboot.

What I have seen in many larger shops is the security department reviewing the patches as they are released.  If the security department deems a patch must be applied, it is applied as soon as possible.  It might only be one of 15 patches, but if they deem it necessary, they apply it ASAP.  Then they will have a quarterly maintenance cycle during which they will apply all other patches.  That way, they may not need to reboot their servers but once every three months.

But, those were business decisions made by those companies.  Each company needs to go through the same process to determine when/how to apply patches.

. : | : . : | : . tim

Monday, July 14, 2014 3:55 PM
  • Thanks you so much for your great explaining..

I am learning day by day about this.

Best Regards,

Tuesday, July 22, 2014 8:27 PM
  • Yes. I agree. Update monthly or so according to your business plan. Do backups Too!

W.Maxx MCITP MCSE MCSA MCP 2k8 2k3 2k nt4 AD, Exchange, DNS, msProject, SharePoint IBM iSeries RIM blackberry

Tuesday, July 22, 2014 9:07 PM
  • Hi,

According to your description, I think the answer is helpful for you. So I will mark it as answer, if you have any updates, please feel free to let us know.

Thank you.

Thursday, July 24, 2014 2:18 AM