none
Sharepoint recovery 1 front-end one back-end

Question

• I have a simple SharePoint environment with a SharePoint 2010 front end and a dedicated SQL back-end. Both virtualized on Hyper-V 2008 R2 host. There are no complicated apps - it is just a file serving SharePoint implementation.

The VHD for the front end server (it only had one drive) got corrupted. I have an export of the complete server from the 29th December, including the VHD.

The back end (SQL and all the databases) if unaffected.

I tried creating a new VM with the three day old VHD from the export, but it does not seem to correctly connect to the back end.

I also have DPM 2012 backups of the whole thing systems, though they are made via the SharePoint front end.

With a whole panoply of solutions I can:

1. import the exported front end and see if that works better than just re-creating the machine (GUIDs and all that)

2. Forget the export of the front end on the 29th and do a fully fledged DR from DPM

Any other ideas?

CarolChi

Wednesday, January 01, 2014 2:58 PM

Answers

• For the record I persevered with the unsupported method (use a 2 day old VHD to build a new front end VM, and leave current back end).

I had some network issues with the back end so I took it out of the domain and put it back in and everything started working.

Probably not orthodox, but it worked.

CarolChi

Thursday, January 02, 2014 10:05 AM

All replies

• I think the best approach in your case would be to create a new WFE server. Install and Configure SharePoint 2010 to create a new farm. If you have a farm backup then use that to restore to new farm or  restore the Content databases and service applications separately.

Edit: I do not have any experience with DPM and hence I cannot comment on that. That might be better option for you but just wanted to clear that I do not know that area. I just provided another option for you given you have all the databases.

Amit

Wednesday, January 01, 2014 3:13 PM
  • One thing to note is that SharePoint does not support VM backups (that is, snapshots or full backups of the VHD itself). Since your VHD is older than the data within the Configuration database, it is best to start with a new front end.

You should be able to install SharePoint up to the same patch level on the new front end, "join" the existing farm, and then forcibly remove the defunct SharePoint server from Central Administration.

Trevor Seward

Follow or contact me at...

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Wednesday, January 01, 2014 7:32 PM
  • For the record I persevered with the unsupported method (use a 2 day old VHD to build a new front end VM, and leave current back end).

I had some network issues with the back end so I took it out of the domain and put it back in and everything started working.

Probably not orthodox, but it worked.

CarolChi

Thursday, January 02, 2014 10:05 AM