none
Exchange 2013 CU2 Failure in Hub Transport

Question

• I am actually doing this install through the recoverserver mode after running into previous issues.  It seems like I am constantly running in to problems.   This is my most recent.  All help would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

C:\apps\Exchange2013 CU2>setup /m:recoverserver /iacceptexchangeserverlicenseter
    ms

Welcome to Microsoft Exchange Server 2013 Cumulative Update 2 Unattended Setup
    Copying Files...
    File copy complete. Setup will now collect additional information needed for
    installation.
    Languages
    Mailbox role: Transport service
    Mailbox role: Client Access service
    Mailbox role: Unified Messaging service
    Mailbox role: Mailbox service
    Management tools

Performing Microsoft Exchange Server Prerequisite Check

Configuring Prerequisites                                 COMPLETED
        Prerequisite Analysis                                     COMPLETED

Configuring Microsoft Exchange Server

Preparing Setup                                           COMPLETED
        Stopping Services                                         COMPLETED
        Copying Exchange Files                                    COMPLETED
        Language Files                                            COMPLETED
        Restoring Services                                        COMPLETED
        Language Configuration                                    COMPLETED
        Mailbox role: Transport service                           FAILED
         The following error was generated when "$error.Clear();
              if (![String]::IsNullOrEmpty($RoleDomainController))
              {
                  $masSid = add-ManagedAvailabilityServerGroupMember -DomainControll
    er $RoleDomainController -ServerName $RoleNetBIOSName
              }
            " was run: "Can't find the "Managed Availability Servers" universal secu
    rity group by using its well-known GUID cf2e5202-8599-4a98-9232-056fc704cc8b.  M
    ake sure that you have run Setup /PrepareAD.".

The Exchange Server setup operation didn't complete. More details can be found
    in ExchangeSetup.log located in the <SystemDrive>:\ExchangeSetupLogs folder.

Friday, August 02, 2013 3:44 PM

Answers

All replies

• Should tell you this is an attempt to upgrade Exchange 2010.   This Exchange 2013 server is being installed on MS 2012 Server.
    Friday, August 02, 2013 3:48 PM
  • It is complaining about a missing security group created as part of preparing the AD.

Run setup.exe /prepareAD to be on the safe side, see whether it succeeds.

I take you are installing 2013 on a member server.

Rajith Enchiparambil | http://www.howexchangeworks.com |

HowExchangeWorks.Com

Friday, August 02, 2013 5:40 PM
  • Actually already tried that earlier. I also ran this previous to actually running the install that got me to this point.  I have been following the installation instructions from http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb124350(v=exchg.150).aspx.     Sorry I should have mentioned before.  It won't allow me to run that stating - 

C:\apps\Exchange2013 CU2>setup /prepareAD /iacceptexchangeserverlicenseterms

Welcome to Microsoft Exchange Server 2013 Cumulative Update 2 Unattended Setup
    Copying Files...
    File copy complete. Setup will now collect additional information needed for
    installation.
    Management tools
    Mailbox role: Transport service
    Mailbox role: Client Access service
    Mailbox role: Unified Messaging service
    Mailbox role: Mailbox service
    Setup previously failed while performing the action "DisasterRecovery". You
     can't resume setup by performing the action "Install".

The Exchange Server setup operation didn't complete. More details can be found
    in ExchangeSetup.log located in the <SystemDrive>:\ExchangeSetupLogs folder.

Friday, August 02, 2013 6:40 PM
  • Did you actually complete a proper Exchange 2013 install in the first place to run a setup in recovery mode?

If it is not in Prod or no users, I suggest to remove the 2013 server entry from AD using ADSIEdit and start fresh.

Rajith Enchiparambil | http://www.howexchangeworks.com |

HowExchangeWorks.Com

Friday, August 02, 2013 9:36 PM
  • I had a screwed install originally.  In the process of trying to fix it the install only got worse.  I was never able to get it functioning enough to migrate any data over from production.   I poorly attempted to remove the 2013 server with ADSIEdit previous to this installation.  Had to make a few fixes in order for production 2010 Exchange to be functioning properly.  What I have now is likely the remnants of the past install messing with the currant install.  I guess I shall try this again next week.

Thanks for your suggestions.   Any other thoughts would be helpful.

Friday, August 02, 2013 10:08 PM
  • Hi A_M_J,

Yes,Rajith is right.If there is no data, you can remove the 2013 server and reinstall it .

If there are some problems, please free let me know.

Best regards,
    Amy

Monday, August 05, 2013 4:44 AM
  • Because this is not a complete install I will not be able to uninstall.  Therefore I will be installing this machine from scratch.  Does anyone have thorough  link by which I can clean all necessary components before doing this reinstall? 

Thanks, 

Aaron

Monday, August 05, 2013 3:22 PM
  • Hi A_M_J,

Remove the Exchange components completely,  you can use the ADSIEDIT from AD.

Here is an article for your reference.(Note: This article is not from Microsoft, please pay attention to refer to it)

Complete remove Exchange 2013 using ADSIEdit
    http://blog.dargel.at/2012/11/20/complete-remove-exchange-2013-using-adsiedit/

Additional KB for your reference.

How to remove Exchange Server 2003 from your computer
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/833396/en-us

Hope it helps.

Best regards,
    Amy

Wednesday, August 07, 2013 3:33 AM
  • Thank you Amy for the response.  I actually found this a few days ago.  I was actually waiting a response from the author to find out if any of these changes would directly impact my live Exchange 2010 install.  I don't mind messing with AD. I just don't want to dismember my current Live Exchange.

Thanks again, 

Aaron

Thursday, August 08, 2013 3:38 PM