none
Linked Dimension and Measure Group Performance

Question

• Hello,

We have a requirement where we want to provide a basic cube (Cube1) with our installation out of the box and then customers can expand that cube (Cube2) to suit their needs. To support a cleaner upgrade we are suggesting that the customer creates a new cube and use the installed cube as linked. This is to avoid overwriting the cube that customer has created but still allow upgrades to our cube. I encountered two issues when I tried a Proof of concept.

1. I just created a linked cube without adding any new dimensions and ran the same set of queries that I ran on Cube1 and found that the query response times were 4 times slower. Is this expected behavior?
    2. I read through a few forums and got a sense that even if we do an extension like this the next time we upgrade the customer would have to do the same manual steps they did first time to update their cube. Is there an automated way to apply upgrades.

Overall, are there suggestions around how to best approach customization and upgrade scenarios for cube in general.

Appreciate the responses in advance.

Tuesday, August 05, 2014 6:59 AM

All replies

• Hi Vickyajm,

Thank you for your question. 

I am trying to involve someone more familiar with this topic for a further look at this issue. Sometime delay might be expected from the job transferring. Your patience is greatly appreciated. 

Thank you for your understanding and support.

Regards,

Charlie Liao
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, August 07, 2014 3:01 AM
  • Thanks for looking into this, really appreciate it. Will wait for what you find.

Thanks

Thursday, August 07, 2014 5:33 AM
  • Hi Vickyajm,

We would suggest you to use Prospective instead of Linked Cube. The performance will also be much better if you can use Prospective instead of Linked Cube.

For more information about the Prospective, please refer to below article.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms167223.aspx

Regards & Thanks

Thursday, August 28, 2014 2:22 PM