none
Constant reboot cycle HP 8470p

Question

• Hello All,

When deploying Windows 7, 32bit OS to an HP 8470p, I get the following error when it's about to boot to Windows:  "The Computer Restarted unexpectedly or encountered an unexpected error.  Windows installation cannot proceed.  To install Windows, click OK to restart the computer and then restart the installation".  

In order to fix this, I followed these steps which allowed the deployment to complete:

Hit F8 to open CMD, open regedit and go to the following key:  HKLocal machine/SYSTEM/SETUP/STATUS/ChildCompletion, double-clicked on setup.exe and changed the value from 1 to 3. Clicked OK in the error window and the PC would reboot into windows and provide the standard successful deployment window.

I am uncertain if something is not configured correctly or if I need to do something that automates changing this registry key. Please note that this issue is not present with the exact same model laptop when applying a 64bit image.

32/64bit images have successfully been deployed to other HP models (8440p, 6310, 6320, 8460 etc.)

Could someone please let me know what to change? The 8470p is going to be out staple laptop we provide to staff and this will be rather annoying to have to do manually.

Thank you in advance for reading/helping!

• Edited by Nubstar Friday, October 19, 2012 12:45 PM
    Friday, October 19, 2012 12:45 PM

All replies

• I think you are running into some driver issues. I have been able to deploy fine to 8440p.

Does this happen to all 8440p notebooks? Does this happen even if you just deploy Windows 7 Source files Image and rather than the custom one?

Regards, Vik Singh "If this thread answered your question, please click on "Mark as Answer"

Friday, October 19, 2012 12:58 PM
  • I think you have your models mixed up there Vik - the 8440p is fine it's the 32 bit install on the 8470p thats having issues.

As Vik said, is this all (8470) machines? Are you using the same 32 bit image you deploy to your other models?

How are you installing your drivers? If its by model then try removing all but mass storage and network and build again. If it works then you can narrow things down.
    • Edited by vmixture Sunday, October 21, 2012 6:01 AM
    Sunday, October 21, 2012 5:54 AM
  • Are you booting from UFD?

If you are, use only USB ports on the left to boot from.

I have run into problems with 8560p where deployment doesn't work when we used usb ports on the right.

Sunday, October 21, 2012 6:56 AM
  • I am having a similar issue under XP and it does look driver related. What I see is that after the image load the machine shuts itself off at boot or in BIOS setup. Removing the battery makes that go away.

I am replacing the WNIC with the latest version from Intel. I have also downloaded the new version of the JMicron driver. It appears that HP has pulled the webcam driver which was part of the problem. Two of the 4 drivers have the same PnP ID. I am using the Primax driver at the moment.

I still have to finish my testing but I thought I'd chime in for any XP folks.

JJ

Tuesday, November 27, 2012 4:57 PM