none
Question about sbs 2011 essentials

Question

• I'm running sbs 2011 at my office. The server hard drive failed on me and had to be replaced. So The server is like new. Wiped and reloaded the system. I set the domain the same as before. The problem im running into is all the work stations are not seeing the server. The connector software says the server is offline. I have uninstalled the connector software and tried to reinstall and it says the workstation is connected to another server. The question is what am I doing wrong here? I dont want to risk loosing any info off the workstations at all. I tried to disconnect it from the domain and it changed the entire desktop. All files on the desktop was gone. Can someone point me in the right direction on how to reconnect the workstations to the server with out loosing anything? 
    Tuesday, August 27, 2013 9:24 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks for posting in the forum.

Regarding the current issue, please understand that if that broken SBS was the ONLY DC in the domain and there is no backup available you are lost. Even using the same domain name will not give existing machines/users access to a new installed domain with the same name. The domain SID(security identifier) will be different. All user accounts, OU, structure, GPOs etc. must be recreated and user have to use the ne user account to logon to their machines. This will create a new local profile and they have by default no access to the old profile anymore. Only the local administrator can access this and should be able to copy, either the important data or the profile, to the new created profile after the user has logged in once via system properties, advanced, user profiles(settings button).

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Andy Qi

Andy Qi
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, August 30, 2013 3:33 AM
  • Andy is on the right track. I will try to make things simple to help resolve this.

1. On each workstation, log on as a local admin account, not any domain account.

2. Change the workstation from domain to a workgroup, doesn't matter the name of the workgroup.

3. Change the name of the workstation (this is not absolute, but just good measure)

4. Reboot the workstation

5. Reconnect the workstation to the domain

These steps will generate new matching SIDs to the server. Please note that user accounts may change and you may have to do some manual moving of data between old user account and new.

Friday, August 30, 2013 4:31 PM
  • They would have new profiles generated when they login to the "new" domain.

You could of course copy the docs out or use a program like Forensit to merge the profile.

Robert Pearman SBS MVP
    itauthority.co.uk | Title(Required)
    Facebook | Twitter | Linked in | Google+

Tuesday, September 03, 2013 9:35 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for posting in the forum.

Regarding the current issue, please understand that if that broken SBS was the ONLY DC in the domain and there is no backup available you are lost. Even using the same domain name will not give existing machines/users access to a new installed domain with the same name. The domain SID(security identifier) will be different. All user accounts, OU, structure, GPOs etc. must be recreated and user have to use the ne user account to logon to their machines. This will create a new local profile and they have by default no access to the old profile anymore. Only the local administrator can access this and should be able to copy, either the important data or the profile, to the new created profile after the user has logged in once via system properties, advanced, user profiles(settings button).

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Andy Qi

Andy Qi
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, August 30, 2013 3:33 AM
  • Andy is on the right track. I will try to make things simple to help resolve this.

1. On each workstation, log on as a local admin account, not any domain account.

2. Change the workstation from domain to a workgroup, doesn't matter the name of the workgroup.

3. Change the name of the workstation (this is not absolute, but just good measure)

4. Reboot the workstation

5. Reconnect the workstation to the domain

These steps will generate new matching SIDs to the server. Please note that user accounts may change and you may have to do some manual moving of data between old user account and new.

Friday, August 30, 2013 4:31 PM
  • Thank you both for your reply. Another question I have. When I take the work stations off the domain and set them to local machine they will lose all there files? I'm really not worried about the files being lost now, they are setup with carbonite.com. So all there files are backed up. The one thing that one of the employees is bugging me with is she going to lose any software like quickbooks? I keep telling her no, all her software is fine its just files like in the documents and stuff on her desktop. She does not want me to touch it.  So I backed up everything on carbonite.com. Please let me know what will be lost when I do this. If you can help that would be great. Thank you for any feed back.
    Saturday, August 31, 2013 2:38 AM
  • They would have new profiles generated when they login to the "new" domain.

You could of course copy the docs out or use a program like Forensit to merge the profile.

Robert Pearman SBS MVP
    itauthority.co.uk | Title(Required)
    Facebook | Twitter | Linked in | Google+

Tuesday, September 03, 2013 9:35 AM
  • Robert is correct or you can simply just go into the user folders and copy the data over manually. You will not lose any programs. If this solves your issue, please mark as answered, thanks.

• Edited by HCI3 Wednesday, September 04, 2013 1:20 AM
    Wednesday, September 04, 2013 1:18 AM