none
How many servers can a user with 1 CAL access?

Question

• For example,

let's say I have 10 Win2012R2 physical servers, and 1 normal user (not administrator) needs to access them all.

How many Win2012R2 User CAL do I need? 1 or 10?

• Edited by Lapson Thursday, April 03, 2014 7:36 AM
    Thursday, April 03, 2014 7:14 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks for your posting in Windows Server Forum.

As per my research, I can say that 1 user needs 1 User CAL to access all your servers to RDP. But please check that all the servers are joined to domain and you must point all your RDSH Server to RD Licensing server.

RDS User CAL: Permits one user (using any device) to use Remote Desktop Services functionality on any of your servers.

More information.

Licensing Windows Server 2012 R2 Remote Desktop Services (Doc)

Hope it helps!

Thanks,
    Dharmesh
    • Marked as answer by Lapson Monday, April 07, 2014 3:12 AM
    Saturday, April 05, 2014 12:10 PM
  • For example,

let's say I have 10 Win2012R2 physical servers, and 1 normal user (not administrator) needs to access them all.

1 CAL is needed for this scenario. It doesn't matter if it's a User CAL, or, a Device CAL, as long as either that user, or that device, has a CAL assigned, you only need a single CAL to access an unlimited number of WindowsServers (subject to the other licensing conditions of CAL)

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

• Marked as answer by Lapson Monday, April 07, 2014 3:11 AM
    Sunday, April 06, 2014 12:47 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for your posting in Windows Server Forum.

As per my research, I can say that 1 user needs 1 User CAL to access all your servers to RDP. But please check that all the servers are joined to domain and you must point all your RDSH Server to RD Licensing server.

RDS User CAL: Permits one user (using any device) to use Remote Desktop Services functionality on any of your servers.

More information.

Licensing Windows Server 2012 R2 Remote Desktop Services (Doc)

Hope it helps!

Thanks,
    Dharmesh
    • Marked as answer by Lapson Monday, April 07, 2014 3:12 AM
    Saturday, April 05, 2014 12:10 PM
  • For example,

1 CAL is needed for this scenario. It doesn't matter if it's a User CAL, or, a Device CAL, as long as either that user, or that device, has a CAL assigned, you only need a single CAL to access an unlimited number of WindowsServers (subject to the other licensing conditions of CAL)

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

• Marked as answer by Lapson Monday, April 07, 2014 3:11 AM
    Sunday, April 06, 2014 12:47 AM
  • Our users are not going to use RDP. They only use the website hosted on those servers.

Anyway, I think your answer also applies. Thanks!

Monday, April 07, 2014 3:11 AM