none
BITS service disappears in Windows Server 2003 R2

Question

• I'm reinstalling a server running Windows Storage Server 2003 R2. After the first batch of updates the BITS service within the Services applet appears to be corrupt. The display name and description for the service both appear as @%SystemRoot%\system32\qmgr.dll,-1000 and I now can't download updates for Windows. I can't find any mention of this occurring on Windows Server, only on Windows XP and when I try those fixes recommended for XP they fail. I've reinstalled the server and then run updates again and am still having the same result. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this?

Thanks.

Friday, December 20, 2013 5:12 PM

Answers

All replies

• Never heard of this one. If you have another 03 R2 server you may be able to export the BITS registry service subkey and import on this server.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\BITS

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Friday, December 20, 2013 5:27 PM
  • Thanks for the suggestion Dave. I've tried it and the description and display name for the service is now correct. However, if I try to run Windows Update as soon as I get to the point of downloading updates the job fails immediately with error 0x80246008. If I try to manually start the BITS service from the Services applet I get the message:

Could not start the Background Intelligent Transfer Service service on Local Computer.

Error 1290: 0x5a

• Edited by Andy_M Friday, December 20, 2013 6:06 PM Typing error
    Friday, December 20, 2013 5:46 PM
  • I've found the answer. I found the post here (http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_xp-windows_update/bits-error-1290-0x50a-following-updates/9457b57d-1cb4-49f8-b62b-7fc8b226ecca?page=2)where Bernd talks about the two registry flags. While it's not identical for Server 2003 R2 the answer is similar. The flags that need to be removed under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\BITS are DelayedAutoStart and ServiceSIDType. Once I had removed those and rebooted the server I could manually start the BITS service. I've also tested downloading Windows Updates and that is working successfully now. Thanks to Dave for putting me on the right path.
    • Marked as answer by Andy_M Friday, December 20, 2013 6:05 PM
    Friday, December 20, 2013 6:05 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your sharing with us. We really appreciate that.

Best Regards

Quan Gu

Tuesday, December 24, 2013 2:02 AM