none
does Win7 support to be installed on the eMMC card?

Question

• I know the Win8 support to be installed on eMMC card, but not sure about Win7.

Roland

Wednesday, August 21, 2013 6:01 AM

Answers

• It can't be possible to run Windows from eMMC or any such kind of cards as data read/write speed is very low and also they have a number of write cycle restrictions. To solve these issues, SSD came.

Windows 8 supports boot from  USB storage devices that are Windows To Go certified and not all the USB storage devices (and eMMC comes in this category). For more information, refer: http://technet.microsoft.com/library/hh831833.aspx#wtg_hardware

Balaji Kundalam

Wednesday, August 21, 2013 3:41 PM

All replies

• It can't be possible to run Windows from eMMC or any such kind of cards as data read/write speed is very low and also they have a number of write cycle restrictions. To solve these issues, SSD came.

Windows 8 supports boot from  USB storage devices that are Windows To Go certified and not all the USB storage devices (and eMMC comes in this category). For more information, refer: http://technet.microsoft.com/library/hh831833.aspx#wtg_hardware

Balaji Kundalam

Wednesday, August 21, 2013 3:41 PM
  • OK, thanks your reply..

Roland

Tuesday, August 27, 2013 12:27 AM
  • You're welcome.

Balaji Kundalam

Tuesday, August 27, 2013 2:54 AM
  • Hi Balaji

Is it possible to create a bootable Win 7 OS image from SD card? If so what are the basic API calls that are needed for communicating with the device? We are trying to create a eMMC bootloader and storage driver for win 7. I understand that Win 7 doesnt provide any support for drivers for eMMC devices. Kindly provide me some inputs here.

Saturday, August 16, 2014 5:32 PM
  • to run an OS from anything, you need BIOS support

my netbook has an sdcard reader, but even with large capacity class 10 cards, the BIOS will not recognize it

so I use a USB stick with >= 32 GB to be able to use the Windows 8 to go feature

i have 2 corsair 32gb disks that run 8.1 ok, and they are not too horribly slow

clearly the faster the stick the better

Corsair Carbide 300R with TX850V2
    Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0 CFX/SLI
    AMD Phenom II 965 C3 Black Edition @ 4.0 GHz
    G.SKILL RipjawsX DDR3-2133 8 GB
    EVGA GTX 660 Ti FTW Signature 2 (GK104 Kepler)
    Asus PA238QR IPS LED HDMI DP 1080p
    ST2000DM001 & Windows 8.1 Professional x64
    Microsoft Wireless Desktop 2000 & Wacom Bamboo CHT470M

Place your rig specifics into your signature like I have, makes it 100x easier to understand!

Hardcore Games Legendary is the Only Way to Play!

Saturday, August 16, 2014 5:38 PM