none
What Happens when the machine gets Powered Off in the middle of the migration from XP to Windows 7

Question

• Hi,

Can any one help me to know what will happen if the PC gets powered off in the middle of the migration ,Will there be any case like machine crash,boormgr missing etc, If so how can we restore the XP machine without any data and profile details lost.

Expecting your inputs to know the ways we can recover the machine.

Thanks in Advance..

Thursday, March 15, 2012 1:26 PM

Answers

• Not really. It depends on what stage of migration you are in. Whether it is the WINPE phase, OS Install or post install etc.

If you are talking about a Refresh Scenario from XP to Windows 7. The data is backed up to the \minint folder. The data would remain in the minint folder and would stay there till the restore phase which is after the OS install. So, if the deployment fails before or during the OS install, you can boot the machine with Generic Windows PE and copy over the data etc. If it is after OS install and before the restore phase, then the OS is already there and you can go into the minint folder and restore the data manually.

If you have good hands on USMT (Loadstate and Scanstate) restoring data automatically will be a lot easier, as you can point Loadstate (for restore) to the data store and have it restore the data automatically.

Why do you think you are going to lose power? The only time I see that migration fails because of power is - because during migration of laptop the tech forgot to attach the power cable (Desktops have the connectivity to UPS etc).

Therefore for refresh migrations from XP to Windows 7 I always do a couple of checks using VBScript and if they pass then I call the litetouch.vbs. Basically, techs run a script called Windows7Migrate.vbs (custom made) which checks for adater if it is a laptop, then checks if the computer is part of a specific OU in AD and if all the checks pass - it calls the litetouch.vbs

Script to check if power adapter is connected or not is here

Regards, Vik Singh "If this thread answered your question, please click on "Mark as Answer"

Friday, March 16, 2012 8:59 AM
  • Thanks Vik... That was really a very Useful and Timely information for my current scenario.
    Friday, March 16, 2012 10:03 AM

All replies

• MDT keeps track of the task sequence proces, and depending on the task sequence progress it should continue where it left off.
    Thursday, March 15, 2012 3:41 PM
  • Not really. It depends on what stage of migration you are in. Whether it is the WINPE phase, OS Install or post install etc.

If you are talking about a Refresh Scenario from XP to Windows 7. The data is backed up to the \minint folder. The data would remain in the minint folder and would stay there till the restore phase which is after the OS install. So, if the deployment fails before or during the OS install, you can boot the machine with Generic Windows PE and copy over the data etc. If it is after OS install and before the restore phase, then the OS is already there and you can go into the minint folder and restore the data manually.

If you have good hands on USMT (Loadstate and Scanstate) restoring data automatically will be a lot easier, as you can point Loadstate (for restore) to the data store and have it restore the data automatically.

Why do you think you are going to lose power? The only time I see that migration fails because of power is - because during migration of laptop the tech forgot to attach the power cable (Desktops have the connectivity to UPS etc).

Therefore for refresh migrations from XP to Windows 7 I always do a couple of checks using VBScript and if they pass then I call the litetouch.vbs. Basically, techs run a script called Windows7Migrate.vbs (custom made) which checks for adater if it is a laptop, then checks if the computer is part of a specific OU in AD and if all the checks pass - it calls the litetouch.vbs

Script to check if power adapter is connected or not is here

Regards, Vik Singh "If this thread answered your question, please click on "Mark as Answer"

Friday, March 16, 2012 8:59 AM
  • Thanks Vik... That was really a very Useful and Timely information for my current scenario.
    Friday, March 16, 2012 10:03 AM