none
Display multiple columns(dimensions) in Analytic grids

Question

• Hi all,

I am facing a problem regarding displaying multiple columns in an analytic grid.

The scenario is:

I have a column which stores all the ticket numbers, and one more column which stores the different applications which generate the ticket or service request.

For example, I have an application Voice, that generated some tickets, similarly some other application generated other tickets and so on.

So now I want to display the information in the format:

Ticket

Application

TKT1234

Voice

TKT1235

Partner Source

TKT1236

XYZ app

But I am not able to display the result in this format because when I put the dimension TicketNumber in Rows and dimension Application in columns, then instead of showing like this, it’s showing like this:

Ticket

Voice

Partner Source

XYZ app

ABC App

TKT1234

TKT1235

So basically what is happening is its taking some measure itself and displaying data in that form. But I want to display data in the above format.

How can I do that?

Any help will be highly appreciated.

Thanks and Regards.

Sumit Agrawal

Thursday, July 12, 2012 6:06 AM

All replies

• This is one of the challenge when you move from relational (2 dimensional) model to multi-dimensional (cube) data model. There always has to be a measure against which you are slicing the data (creating query). If no measure is provided the query would use default measure.

To get your desired results you would need to use NONEMPTYCROSSJOIN between TicketNumber and Application dimension on columns excluding empty members.

Or use Reporting services tabular reports.

http://dailyitsolutions.blogspot.com/

• Edited by Umair.Khan Thursday, July 12, 2012 4:11 PM
    Thursday, July 12, 2012 4:10 PM
  • Ok, i will try it and check.

But is it also possible that i can display multiple dimensions like this on columns?

For example: As in my case, if i also want to display some more similar dimensions like 'Created date' and 'Resolved date' and all for the ticket, is it possible to do so?

Can i apply crossjoin on multiple dimensions as well, so that i can display multiple columns in my grid??

Sumit Agrawal

Thursday, July 12, 2012 5:15 PM
  • Yes, you may have any number of dimension in crossjoin. But performance would be affected depending on number of dimensions you use.

Thursday, July 12, 2012 7:55 PM
  • But even after crossjoin, i am noit able to get multiple columns. What crossjoin does is, its giving me all details as child of the main ticket. Its not giving it in multiple columns, rather its just showing all details for 1 ticket as children of that ticket in rows.

How can i correct that? Can i apply crossjoin on columns as well?

Sumit Agrawal

Thursday, July 19, 2012 7:06 AM
  • Yes analytics grid would do that as it is not meant for tabular reporting. Anyways to make more sense you can re arrange dimensions like Application then ticket in your cross join.

Other simpler alternatives would be to use Reporting Services report on your cube (would give best output for tabular format report).

Or add member properties to your Ticket dimension and use them as PROPERTIES like:

Using Member Properties

Thursday, July 19, 2012 1:55 PM