none
Heavy and unnecessary component on SBS 2011 - which ones can be uninstalled?

Question

• To free some resources, I thought about uninstalling or disabling components that we're not using.

I would love to hear from you, which services are the heaviest and aren't mandatory for SBS 2011 daily operation.

• Edited by K834T953 Friday, July 27, 2012 8:47 AM
    Friday, July 27, 2012 8:43 AM

Answers

• With 24GB RAM and 20 users, you *should* be fine (although if, for example, you have 7200RPM SATA discs in RAID 5 then that's your bottleneck). For RAM, you have sufficient.

Exchange is probably using most of it, and you can throttle that back here.

Uninstalling stuff should probably be your last resort.

Jim

Friday, July 27, 2012 9:10 AM

All replies

• This sounds like a loosely veiled description of "my server is underpowered and hasn't got enough RAM".

Tell us what you're using, and we can advise on what you can remove. Although removing ANYTHING from an SBS box usually breaks something, as everything is so tightly knitted together.

Jim

Friday, July 27, 2012 8:54 AM
  • Thanks for the quick reply :)

I have 24gb of ram for SBS 2011 with 20 users with folder redirection. But I'm also running QuickBooks server that respond a little bit slowly lately.

Friday, July 27, 2012 9:01 AM
  • With 24GB RAM and 20 users, you *should* be fine (although if, for example, you have 7200RPM SATA discs in RAID 5 then that's your bottleneck). For RAM, you have sufficient.

Exchange is probably using most of it, and you can throttle that back here.

Uninstalling stuff should probably be your last resort.

Jim

Friday, July 27, 2012 9:10 AM