none
Specify Excel 'Display Format' while importing data

Question

• I'm currently using an excel document as a template for generating a report. This is done by first specifying an 'Xml Map' in Excel and then importing data against it. The report generation works fine. 

The problem is that I want the display format on the cell to be 'General' and not 'Text' after the import. I came across this link (Excel 2007)

http://office.microsoft.com/en-gb/excel-help/xml-schema-definition-xsd-data-type-support-HP010206414.aspx#BMxsdexport

The link specifies that Excel will set string data from the xml import to display as 'Text' by default. I need this to be displayed as 'General' instead. Is there a way to do this? 

The only solution I've come up with so far is to use a macro to change the display format after opening the document but if I can do it using only Excel settings it would be better.

• Edited by AContractor Thursday, September 26, 2013 10:58 AM
    Tuesday, September 24, 2013 12:30 PM

Answers

• Thank you for your post. As the descirption as the link you profile, the Excel display format is Text by default when you export XML data. There is no specific option, group policy or registry key to set it in Excel by far. The best workaround is that using a macro to change the display format after opening the document. which you have done. Sorry.

Cheers,
    Tony Chen
    Forum Support

Thursday, September 26, 2013 9:57 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for your posting.

I'd like to move this thread on Excel IT Pro Discussions forum to involve some engineers to check whether there is a built-in function to solve this issue.

<THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Wednesday, September 25, 2013 5:46 AM
  • Thank you for your post. As the descirption as the link you profile, the Excel display format is Text by default when you export XML data. There is no specific option, group policy or registry key to set it in Excel by far. The best workaround is that using a macro to change the display format after opening the document. which you have done. Sorry.

Cheers,
    Tony Chen
    Forum Support

Thursday, September 26, 2013 9:57 AM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Cheers,
    Tony Chen
    Forum Support

Monday, September 30, 2013 5:45 AM