none
Cannot connect through SCCM console from my laptop with VPN connection

Question

• I can't get through this problem and it blocks me from doing my work from home. I am now doing an RDP to a server and administering the console from there but the goal is to use the console from my own business laptop.

I have a standard windows VPN connection with radius and L2TP/IPSEC. I have a Windows 7 x64. The primary server is a W2k3 R2 SP2 x86. The SQL server is a Win2k8 x64.

When I am at work the console is working fine but when I am over VPN it gives me an RPC error. 'The RPC server is unavailable. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800706BA)

Monday, September 09, 2013 11:37 AM

All replies

• This can be caused because of DNS issues with VPN connection. Try connecting to SCCM database using IP address. In the Admin console configuration, try using the IP address instead of SCCM server FQDN.

~ Rajeesh M | My Tech Blog: ScorpITs | Please take a moment to 'Mark as Answer' and/or 'Vote as Helpful' on the post that helps you. It helps other community members reading the thread and recognizes useful contributions.

Monday, September 09, 2013 11:58 AM
  • I was thinking of that too but it gave also an error. Dns is not an issue in this case
    Monday, September 09, 2013 1:37 PM
  • Hi,

You haven't unblocked Remote Administration in the Windows Firewall. Either unblock that, or disable the Windows Firewall. Whichever you decide to do should fix your problem and allow you to manage ConfigMgr remotely.

Juke Chou
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, September 10, 2013 7:48 AM
  • You mean the firewall on the server? Weird is that the firewall is already disabled on the W2K3 server. The ICS service isn't running.
    Tuesday, September 10, 2013 11:09 AM
  • I think Juke meant the Windows Firewall Service (Service Name: MpsSvc)
    Check stopping / disabling that service on your machine.

~ Rajeesh M | My Tech Blog: ScorpITs | Please take a moment to 'Mark as Answer' and/or 'Vote as Helpful' on the post that helps you. It helps other community members reading the thread and recognizes useful contributions.

• Edited by ucrajee Tuesday, September 10, 2013 12:02 PM
    Tuesday, September 10, 2013 12:02 PM
  • Please check RPC ports, it could be because RPC port not opened through VPN
    Tuesday, September 10, 2013 12:42 PM
  • Where can I check that?

I just tested the mpssvc solution -> net stop mpssvc. But the error still remains. Could it be a DCOM problem?

• Edited by Michael140 Thursday, September 12, 2013 5:01 AM
    Thursday, September 12, 2013 5:01 AM