none
Trial to Full Version

Question

• I hope someone can help me with a licencing question.

I am in the process of upgrading our SBS 2003 server to Server 2012 R2 Essentials. To do this we have purchased new Fujitsu Server and the Fujitsu 2012 Essentials{ROK) for the OS.

The Server was delivered on time but the 2012 Essentials has been delayed and we still have not received it from the supplier. We really need the server configured and operational for the 1st of November so I was wondering if we could register for the 180 day trial of server 2012 Essentials from the Microsoft website and install that with the trial key and when our Fujitsu (ROK) version arrives, use the serial to turn the trial into the full version.

This would allow me to install and configure the server without having to wait for the Fujitsu software to arrive.

Regards

Tony

Saturday, October 26, 2013 8:28 PM

Answers

• That's what i did in my case. I had installed the Trial Version activated (you get a 180days-countdown warning in low right corner of your desktop), and a soon as i had the key i typed it in to get it activated.

After a few seconds (or a Restart depending on Windows Version), the Warning goes away and all is well back to normal.

Your only problem would be to install a different version from the Porduct key you will get. SO PAY attention to your what you install, because in your first post you quote:

"I am in the process of upgrading our SBS 2003 server toServer 2012 R2 Essentials. To do this we have purchased new Fujitsu Server and the Fujitsu 2012 Essentials{ROK) for the OS"

From what i understand from your statement is that you are installing Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials Trial but you are getting a Fujitsu ROK for Windows Server 2012 Essentials.

The Key will NOT work in that case.

Be careful on that!!!

Sunday, October 27, 2013 12:00 PM

All replies

• So far i have managed to convert the Trial of 3 different versions of Essentials (SBS 2011 Essentials, WSE 2012 and WSE 2012 R2), to Full functional copies by using DSP media Keys.

The ROK media as far as i know cannot be installed on different hardware than the System Builder's Hardware.

That is the only difference from DSP media.

I strongly believe that you are good to go.

• Edited by Wiseman Saturday, October 26, 2013 9:24 PM
    Saturday, October 26, 2013 9:23 PM
  • Hi Wiseman, thanks for the encouraging news.

Yes the Hardware and Purchased software are from the same system builder. My concern was moving from the trial to using the key supplied with the Fujitsu ROK software.

As I have never had to go through this procedure before I was unsure of what I would be presented with regarding applying the Fujitsu key.

Can I apply the key as soon as I receive the Fujitsu software that I purchased with our new server? 

Just downloaded the trial and starting the installation now. Thanks again Wiseman for the support.

Regards

Tony

Saturday, October 26, 2013 9:58 PM
  • That's what i did in my case. I had installed the Trial Version activated (you get a 180days-countdown warning in low right corner of your desktop), and a soon as i had the key i typed it in to get it activated.

After a few seconds (or a Restart depending on Windows Version), the Warning goes away and all is well back to normal.

Your only problem would be to install a different version from the Porduct key you will get. SO PAY attention to your what you install, because in your first post you quote:

"I am in the process of upgrading our SBS 2003 server toServer 2012 R2 Essentials. To do this we have purchased new Fujitsu Server and the Fujitsu 2012 Essentials{ROK) for the OS"

From what i understand from your statement is that you are installing Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials Trial but you are getting a Fujitsu ROK for Windows Server 2012 Essentials.

The Key will NOT work in that case.

Be careful on that!!!

Sunday, October 27, 2013 12:00 PM
  • I don't know why I put R2 in the previous description As both the Download from Microsoft and the Purchased ROK version do NOT state they are the R2 version.

Thanks for the pointer though and I think I am good to go so will make a start on it today.

Regards

Tony

Sunday, October 27, 2013 1:07 PM