none
Cannot utilise or Extend extra 700gb of 3TB HDD

Question

• I have a 3TB WD HDD.

But my C:\ Drive is only 2tb and I have another 746.52GB of of unallocated space.

I have tried to convert my drive to GPT to see if this works but can't, It's greyed out and in DISKPART I get an error "The operation is not allowed on a disk that contains a pagefile volume."

I am running Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit

Attached some images showing the issues.

Tuesday, November 05, 2013 11:01 AM

Answers

• Hi.

Sorry to be the one giving you bad news. Microsoft supports converting MBR to GPT only when the drive is empty. Since you cant convert the drive to GPT there is no supported way of extending your C:\ past 2TB. There is a comment on the page I linked that talks about a freeware, but then you are way off and in bad territory.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. Even if you are not the author of a thread you can always help others by voting as Helpful. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Oscar Virot

Tuesday, November 05, 2013 1:44 PM

All replies

• Hi.

Sorry to be the one giving you bad news. Microsoft supports converting MBR to GPT only when the drive is empty. Since you cant convert the drive to GPT there is no supported way of extending your C:\ past 2TB. There is a comment on the page I linked that talks about a freeware, but then you are way off and in bad territory.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. Even if you are not the author of a thread you can always help others by voting as Helpful. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Oscar Virot

Tuesday, November 05, 2013 1:44 PM
  • There's no bad news, at all - You may have solved your problem. by now...

But anyway:

Safe and tested on 11 O/S's (XP/WIN7/WIN8+8.1) all on 3TB ST3000DM001

By using Extended Capacity Manager option in Seagate DiscWizard/AcronisTrueImage WD

746 GB MBR becomes available - can't boot from this drive, but who would want to with:

2 TB Net (2.2 TB gross) available on 1st MBR

Windows 'sees' in Device Manager:

AVB ST3000DM001  (746 GB 'drive') - Computer Management - Logical Drive (Healthy)

ST3000DM001         (2 TB 'drive')

and anything else attached

So no waste, and 746 GB ideal for storage for music, video, pictures etc.

Well worth mentioning - IMPORTANT - best BACKUP off piste - on External Drive

eg. MyBook 1130 2TB USB 3.0 - MyBook 1230 3TB USB 3.0

or on another Internal Drive - Backups on a failed drive are not helpful

Friday, March 28, 2014 4:33 AM