none
Dell driver pack

Question

• On the Dell website on the drivers page i can download drivers pro system but there is also the possibility to download a Dell Driver Pack, a pack for System Centre Configuration Manager, pack for Winpe etc. There is no pack for MDT2010.

What is best to do: download a pack for Winpe and use this for all inlcuding installation of Win 7 thru MDT or is it best to download pro system and import them pro system in MDT2010?
    And Which pack is best to use for MDT2010 and Winpe (i don't think there is a defference to setup in MDT2010 for the drivers?

freddie
    Friday, August 27, 2010 8:10 AM

All replies

• The driver packs can be imported into MDT 2010 and are not only for SCCM.

Here is what I do.  I have a few Dell laptops and desktops that I support.  I download the driver pack for each model for the version of Windows I'm using (Windows 7 in my case).  In MDT2010 I create a seperate folder under "Out-of-Box Drivers" for each model and I import the drivers from the driver pack into that folder.  This way I can keep drivers organized and if we retire a model it makes it easy to remove those drivers.  But that's just me.

Download the driver pack for one of your Dell machines.  Just start with one for now.  Unzip the driver pack.  You will have a set of folders, one for 32bit and one for 64bit.  Inside the 32bit folder (for example) you will have all the drivers for all the hardware options for that model.  So, if Dell offers let's say 3 different video card options you will have the drivers for all three.  This way, no matter what hardware options you purchased you will have the drivers right there.

I have never had the need to download the WinPE drivers or anything other than the driver packs.  When you generate your boot media in MDT it will pull the drivers it needs from the drivers you have in the "Out-of-Box Drivers".

Friday, August 27, 2010 11:46 AM
  • Ok thx, i am also gonna do that, but there are drivers for Winpe and SCCM. What is the difference?

freddie
    Monday, August 30, 2010 7:03 AM
  • A collection of mostly Nic & Storage drivers for the boot image(s)

/ Johan

Monday, August 30, 2010 11:56 AM
  • Ok thx, i am also gonna do that, but there are drivers for Winpe and SCCM. What is the difference?

freddie

The WinPE drivers are just the network cards and mass storage drivers (SATA controlers) for all of the Dell models that WinPE would need.  It leaves out drivers sound cards, video cards, etc. that are not needed for WinPE.  It's just a subset of drivers collected together to make it easier.

The "SCCM" driver cabs are all the drivers for all the hardware options for a given model.

Monday, August 30, 2010 12:00 PM
  • Hi,

Use the following link to download the Dell driver pack and WinPE for Dell computer.
    Then to optimize your winpe image, check the post about driver management in mdt 2010.

regards,

www.revuedugeek.com | Déployer Windows 7
    Monday, August 30, 2010 1:51 PM
  • I just downloaded the Dell drivers pack but what i downloaded was a executable which needed SCCM, so not the right pack... Can i download the pack for a machine at the Dell website on the download and drivers page?

What i have seen that there are .cab files which contains the right drivers but are they on the Dell website...

freddie
    Monday, August 30, 2010 2:06 PM
  • It is in .cab file and for the exe file you need to extract them.
    Monday, August 30, 2010 2:08 PM
  • I don't believe they have  a WinPE 3.0 driver pack.

WinPE 3.0 is Win7 based and therefore you will need Win7 drivers for the boot image.  Then you will need drivers for whatever OS you working with, XP, VIsta, or Windows 7. 

MCTS: ConfigMgr, MDT / http://myitforum.com/cs2/blogs/cnackers/default.aspx
    Monday, August 30, 2010 9:11 PM
  • Check this link, they have them WinPE 3 and also for every system. http://www.delltechcenter.com/page/dell+business+client+operating+system+deployment+-+the+.cab+files

Thanks for the link! I stand corrected :) 

I did notice it's a 25mb download, and about 50mb for x64 and 25mb for x86...so I still wouldn't recommend just importing that and adding it to the boot image.  That's a significant growth in the size of WinPE. I would add ONLY what you need for your environment.  

MCTS: ConfigMgr, MDT / http://myitforum.com/cs2/blogs/cnackers/default.aspx
    Monday, August 30, 2010 9:25 PM
  • Exactly, only import the drivers you need

Wednesday, September 01, 2010 3:47 PM
  • Unfortunately, Dell adds the OEM strings to their drivers which prevents MDT from sorting out duplicate drivers. Because of this, I chose to create a folder for each model, created a selection profile for each individual folder, and then used a WMI query for the model to determine which drivers get installed during setup. We have about 30 different models in our MDT, and this method drastically reduced the amount of time it took to find and inject the appropriate drivers.

Here's the best details I can give on here:

- Out-of-Box Drivers
    -- Win7 Drivers
    --- Latitude E6510
    --- Latitude E6500
    --- Precision 390
    --- Precision T3400
    --- Precision T3500
    --- Optiplex GX780

The selection profiles are for each individual model and specifies the appropriate subfolder.

During the task sequence where you would normally have the driver selection profile, we have a Group with all of the Inject Driver tasks. We have one Inject Driver task per model specifying the appropriate model, and then we use a WMI query to determine if that model should use that selection profile. So, for the Latitude E6510, it looks like this:

WMI query Select * from Win32_ComputerSystem WHERE manufacturer like "Dell%" AND (Model LIKE "%E6510%")

The WMI query is extremely fast and rips right through the list. This method is great because you get exact matches to what Dell recommends if they happen to do any weird tweaking with drivers for specific models.

• Proposed as answer by minion01 Wednesday, September 15, 2010 6:13 AM
    Wednesday, September 01, 2010 9:06 PM