none
Unable to start Windows Server Essentials Management Service (WseMgmtSvc)

Question

• Earlier this week, I did a clean install of Windows Server R2 Essentials.  Before performing any setup functions, I installed all of the updates that Windows Update provided.  Now, I am unable to perform any of the Setup functions from the Dashboard.  Each link fails with a different error message.

The probable cause, IMHO, is that the Windows Server Essentials Management Service is not running and can not be forced to start. I get the message "Error 1067: The process terminated unexpectedly".   Can any one help?

Thanks,

Phil

Friday, October 25, 2013 3:28 AM

Answers

• After a delete of server backup things are up and running (use in powershell: wbadmin delete catalog)
    Friday, October 25, 2013 1:12 PM
  • In the services console, for WseMgmtSvc which is the "Log On As" option set to. In a clean Install it should be Set to Local System ideally. If it is set to something else you can change that to "Local System" and attempt to start the service. 

This post is "AS IS" and confers no rights. Mohammed Sabir [MSFT]

Monday, October 28, 2013 5:50 PM

All replies

• I have the exact same issue. Using Server R2 standard with Essentials role. Worked fine until yesterday after some updates. "Windows Server Essentias Management Service is not running". Also server backup did not work anymore. After a working clean install yesterday evening, I have the same issue this morning probably again after some updates....
    Friday, October 25, 2013 8:01 AM
  • After a delete of server backup things are up and running (use in powershell: wbadmin delete catalog)
    Friday, October 25, 2013 1:12 PM
  • In the services console, for WseMgmtSvc which is the "Log On As" option set to. In a clean Install it should be Set to Local System ideally. If it is set to something else you can change that to "Local System" and attempt to start the service. 

This post is "AS IS" and confers no rights. Mohammed Sabir [MSFT]

Monday, October 28, 2013 5:50 PM
  • I also have the same issue. With this solution (wbadmin delete catalog) server backup is impossible. Do you know, when a Windows update will be available?
    Monday, November 11, 2013 8:53 PM
  • After installing updates today I am now having this same issue. I have deleted the backup catalog AND uninstalled the updates but still no joy, management service refuses to start, event log just says 'The Windows Server Essentials Management Service service terminated unexpectedly.  It has done this 5 time(s).' Useful!
    Wednesday, November 13, 2013 7:57 PM
  • Log Name:      Microsoft-Windows-ServerEssentials/Admin
    Source:        Microsoft-Windows-Windows Server
    Date:          13/11/2013 20:41:36
    Event ID:      133
    Task Category: None
    Level:         Error
    Keywords:      
    User:          SYSTEM
    Computer:      KWSVR01.KWPCS.local
    Description:
    The 'Windows Server Essentials Management Service' service (WseMgmtSvc) failed while starting.

Additional error information: Unhandled exception in OnStart: System.ArgumentNullException: The empty string '' is not a valid local name.
    Parameter name: name
       at System.Xml.XmlConvert.VerifyNCName(String name, ExceptionType exceptionType)
       at System.Xml.XmlUTF8TextReader.VerifyNCName(String s)
       at System.Xml.XmlUTF8TextReader.ReadQualifiedName(PrefixHandle prefix, StringHandle localName)
       at System.Xml.XmlUTF8TextReader.ReadStartElement()
       at System.Xml.XmlUTF8TextReader.Read()
       at System.Xml.XmlBaseReader.MoveToContent()
       at System.Xml.XmlBaseReader.IsStartElement()
       at System.Xml.XmlBaseReader.IsStartElement(XmlDictionaryString localName, XmlDictionaryString namespaceUri)
       at ReadArrayOfDevicePropertyFromXml(XmlReaderDelegator , XmlObjectSerializerReadContext , XmlDictionaryString , XmlDictionaryString , CollectionDataContract )
       at System.Runtime.Serialization.CollectionDataContract.ReadXmlValue(XmlReaderDelegator xmlReader, XmlObjectSerializerReadContext context)
       at System.Runtime.Serialization.XmlObjectSerializerReadContext.InternalDeserialize(XmlReaderDelegator reader, String name, String ns, Type declaredType, DataContract& dataContract)
       at System.Runtime.Serialization.XmlObjectSerializerReadContext.InternalDeserialize(XmlReaderDelegator xmlReader, Int32 id, RuntimeTypeHandle declaredTypeHandle, String name, String ns)
       at ReadKeyValueOfstringArrayOfDevicePropertyoy2JKP7OFromXml(XmlReaderDelegator , XmlObjectSerializerReadContext , XmlDictionaryString[] , XmlDictionaryString[] )
       at System.Runtime.Serialization.ClassDataContract.ReadXmlValue(XmlReaderDelegator xmlReader, XmlObjectSerializerReadContext context)
       at ReadArrayOfKeyValueOfstringArrayOfDevicePropertyoy2JKP7OFromXml(XmlReaderDelegator , XmlObjectSerializerReadContext , XmlDictionaryString , XmlDictionaryString , CollectionDataContract )
       at System.Runtime.Serialization.CollectionDataContract.ReadXmlValue(XmlReaderDelegator xmlReader, XmlObjectSerializerReadContext context)
       at System.Runtime.Serialization.XmlObjectSerializerReadContext.InternalDeserialize(XmlReaderDelegator reader, String name, String ns, Type declaredType, DataContract& dataContract)
       at System.Runtime.Serialization.XmlObjectSerializerReadContext.InternalDeserialize(XmlReaderDelegator xmlReader, Type declaredType, DataContract dataContract, String name, String ns)
       at System.Runtime.Serialization.DataContractSerializer.InternalReadObject(XmlReaderDelegator xmlReader, Boolean verifyObjectName, DataContractResolver dataContractResolver)
       at System.Runtime.Serialization.XmlObjectSerializer.ReadObjectHandleExceptions(XmlReaderDelegator reader, Boolean verifyObjectName, DataContractResolver dataContractResolver)
       at System.Runtime.Serialization.XmlObjectSerializer.ReadObject(XmlDictionaryReader reader)
       at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Common.Devices.DataContractObjectStore`1.Load(String path, IEnumerable`1 knownTypes)
       at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Common.Devices.DataContractObjectStore`1.Load()
       at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Common.Devices.DevicesXmlDataStore.Read()
       at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Common.Devices.DevicesProviderDataManager.ReadFromDataStore()
       at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Common.Devices.DevicesProviderDataManager.DoLoadDeviceData()
       at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Common.Devices.DeviceManagementActivity.CreateProviderHosts()
       at Microsoft.WindowsServer.Essentials.WindowsService.WseServiceBase.CreateProviderHosts()
       at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Common.ProviderFramework.ProviderServiceBase._OpenHosts()
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
      <System>
        <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Windows Server" Guid="{26A2F182-2EAD-423F-9D7D-500B74FF9295}" />
        <EventID>133</EventID>
        <Version>0</Version>
        <Level>2</Level>
        <Task>0</Task>
        <Opcode>0</Opcode>
        <Keywords>0x8000000000000000</Keywords>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2013-11-13T20:41:36.354503200Z" />
        <EventRecordID>3664</EventRecordID>
        <Correlation />
        <Execution ProcessID="3844" ThreadID="6952" />
        <Channel>Microsoft-Windows-ServerEssentials/Admin</Channel>
        <Computer>KWSVR01.KWPCS.local</Computer>
        <Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
      </System>
      <EventData>
        <Data Name="ServiceDisplayName">Windows Server Essentials Management Service</Data>
        <Data Name="ServiceName">WseMgmtSvc</Data>
        <Data Name="Exception">Unhandled exception in OnStart: System.ArgumentNullException: The empty string '' is not a valid local name.
    Parameter name: name
       at System.Xml.XmlConvert.VerifyNCName(String name, ExceptionType exceptionType)
       at System.Xml.XmlUTF8TextReader.VerifyNCName(String s)
       at System.Xml.XmlUTF8TextReader.ReadQualifiedName(PrefixHandle prefix, StringHandle localName)
       at System.Xml.XmlUTF8TextReader.ReadStartElement()
       at System.Xml.XmlUTF8TextReader.Read()
       at System.Xml.XmlBaseReader.MoveToContent()
       at System.Xml.XmlBaseReader.IsStartElement()
       at System.Xml.XmlBaseReader.IsStartElement(XmlDictionaryString localName, XmlDictionaryString namespaceUri)
       at ReadArrayOfDevicePropertyFromXml(XmlReaderDelegator , XmlObjectSerializerReadContext , XmlDictionaryString , XmlDictionaryString , CollectionDataContract )
       at System.Runtime.Serialization.XmlObjectSerializerReadContext.InternalDeserialize(XmlReaderDelegator reader, String name, String ns, Type declaredType, DataContract&amp; dataContract)
       at System.Runtime.Serialization.XmlObjectSerializerReadContext.InternalDeserialize(XmlReaderDelegator xmlReader, Int32 id, RuntimeTypeHandle declaredTypeHandle, String name, String ns)
       at ReadKeyValueOfstringArrayOfDevicePropertyoy2JKP7OFromXml(XmlReaderDelegator , XmlObjectSerializerReadContext , XmlDictionaryString[] , XmlDictionaryString[] )
       at System.Runtime.Serialization.ClassDataContract.ReadXmlValue(XmlReaderDelegator xmlReader, XmlObjectSerializerReadContext context)
       at ReadArrayOfKeyValueOfstringArrayOfDevicePropertyoy2JKP7OFromXml(XmlReaderDelegator , XmlObjectSerializerReadContext , XmlDictionaryString , XmlDictionaryString , CollectionDataContract )
       at System.Runtime.Serialization.XmlObjectSerializerReadContext.InternalDeserialize(XmlReaderDelegator reader, String name, String ns, Type declaredType, DataContract&amp; dataContract)
       at System.Runtime.Serialization.XmlObjectSerializerReadContext.InternalDeserialize(XmlReaderDelegator xmlReader, Type declaredType, DataContract dataContract, String name, String ns)
       at System.Runtime.Serialization.DataContractSerializer.InternalReadObject(XmlReaderDelegator xmlReader, Boolean verifyObjectName, DataContractResolver dataContractResolver)
       at System.Runtime.Serialization.XmlObjectSerializer.ReadObjectHandleExceptions(XmlReaderDelegator reader, Boolean verifyObjectName, DataContractResolver dataContractResolver)
       at System.Runtime.Serialization.XmlObjectSerializer.ReadObject(XmlDictionaryReader reader)
       at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Common.Devices.DataContractObjectStore`1.Load(String path, IEnumerable`1 knownTypes)
       at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Common.Devices.DataContractObjectStore`1.Load()
       at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Common.Devices.DevicesXmlDataStore.Read()
       at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Common.Devices.DevicesProviderDataManager.ReadFromDataStore()
       at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Common.Devices.DevicesProviderDataManager.DoLoadDeviceData()
       at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Common.Devices.DeviceManagementActivity.CreateProviderHosts()
       at Microsoft.WindowsServer.Essentials.WindowsService.WseServiceBase.CreateProviderHosts()
       at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Common.ProviderFramework.ProviderServiceBase._OpenHosts()</Data>
      </EventData>
    </Event>
    Wednesday, November 13, 2013 8:45 PM
  • There will be no fix until it's understood what's going on.

Unfortunately TechNet isn't coming back, sorry folks :-(

Wednesday, November 13, 2013 10:54 PM
  • Collapse
    Solution | swaran 11/14/2013 16:41

Symptom:
    The "Windows Server Essentials Management Service" terminated unexpectedly

Cause:
    Corruption in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Server\Data\DevicesInfo.xml file

Resolution:
    Replaced the file from DevicesInfo.xml.bak

was able to start the service successfully

What the heck is causing that?

• Proposed as answer by KnightSi Sunday, March 16, 2014 10:05 PM
    Friday, November 15, 2013 6:08 AM
  • The only thing I can think of, it hadn't occurred to me before, is that I had added 2 extra hard drives around that time?

Anyway, thanks to Swapnil, who spent several hours remoted onto the machine yesterday, for sorting it out.

Also thanks to Susan for generating the service request at MS.

Still have the problem with the dashboard crashing though!

Friday, November 15, 2013 8:10 AM
  • If you have the prior wave of SharePoint I think that's the reason.  Hang loose for that.

Friday, November 15, 2013 8:15 AM
  • I just renamed the Sharepoint addin as suggested in the other thread and that seems to have cured it for now.
    Friday, November 15, 2013 8:57 AM
  • Currently I am managing Windows Server 2012 Essentials machine which has, on 2 consecutive occasions now, thrown the Essentials Management Service error at me. Both times followed the installation of required updates & a reboot of the system. Both times, as well, this solution worked for me (wbadmin delete catalog). If this happens again, I will be sure to try "wbadmin delete rebuild" to see if there are less destructive methods to this madness.

Is there any hope of Microsoft addressing this issue? I feel that it must be as the result of deploying before a certain set of updates, but cannot be sure without further testing.

Friday, December 20, 2013 8:46 AM
  • What hardware are you running on? If it is an HP Microserver it might be worth installing a recent BIOS update that resolved some issues with hardware(NIC).
    Friday, December 20, 2013 9:24 AM
  • Any progress on this issue? I'm seeing the same thing on Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials. I've installed it 4 times now. The last time I simply did the following:

• Install WS 2012 R2 E on a physical system.
    • Disable automatic updates in order to exclude any updates causing the issue.
    • Set up Server Backup from the dashboard.
    • Initiated a server backup.
    • After the server backup completes, restart the computer.

After than point, the Windows Server Essentials Management Service refuses to start. Disabling the backup service or deleting the backup catalog has no effect and there is no way I can figure out how to get it working again.

Below is a list of some error events I see. Thanks in advance for any help with this issue.

I plan to start a 5th install from scratch but this time skip setting up Server Backup in the hope that it is the one and only culprit.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Log Name:      Application
    Source:        Application Error
    Date:          1/21/2014 12:53:51 PM
    Event ID:      1000
    Task Category: (100)
    Keywords:      Classic
    User:          N/A
    Computer:      Server.DOMAIN.local
    Description:
    Faulting application name: SharedServiceHost.exe, version: 6.3.9600.16384, time stamp: 0x5215ca62
    Faulting module name: ServerBeacon.dll, version: 6.3.9600.16384, time stamp: 0x5215f0fe
    Exception code: 0xc0000025
    Fault offset: 0x0000000000007b94
    Faulting process id: 0xa50
    Faulting application start time: 0x01cf16eae30c31ba
    Faulting application path: C:\Windows\System32\Essentials\SharedServiceHost.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\Windows\System32\Essentials\ServerBeacon.dll
    Report Id: 212b2fc6-82de-11e3-80ba-002522aa4eaf
    Faulting package full name:
    Faulting package-relative application ID:
    Event Xml:
      <System>
        <Provider Name="Application Error" />
        <EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>
        <Level>2</Level>
        <Task>100</Task>
        <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2014-01-21T20:53:51.000000000Z" />
        <EventRecordID>1136</EventRecordID>
        <Channel>Application</Channel>
        <Computer>Server.DOMAIN.local</Computer>
        <Security />
      </System>
      <EventData>
        <Data>SharedServiceHost.exe</Data>
        <Data>6.3.9600.16384</Data>
        <Data>5215ca62</Data>
        <Data>ServerBeacon.dll</Data>
        <Data>6.3.9600.16384</Data>
        <Data>5215f0fe</Data>
        <Data>c0000025</Data>
        <Data>0000000000007b94</Data>
        <Data>a50</Data>
        <Data>01cf16eae30c31ba</Data>
        <Data>C:\Windows\System32\Essentials\SharedServiceHost.exe</Data>
        <Data>C:\Windows\System32\Essentials\ServerBeacon.dll</Data>
        <Data>212b2fc6-82de-11e3-80ba-002522aa4eaf</Data>
        <Data>
        </Data>
        <Data>
        </Data>
      </EventData>
    </Event>

----------------------------------------------------------------

Log Name:      System
    Source:        Service Control Manager
    Date:          1/21/2014 1:46:44 PM
    Event ID:      7034
    Keywords:      Classic
    User:          N/A
    Description:
    The Windows Server Essentials Management Service service terminated unexpectedly.  It has done this 4 time(s).
    Event Xml:
      <System>
        <Provider Name="Service Control Manager" Guid="{555908d1-a6d7-4695-8e1e-26931d2012f4}" EventSourceName="Service Control Manager" />
        <EventID Qualifiers="49152">7034</EventID>
        <Version>0</Version>
        <Level>2</Level>
        <Task>0</Task>
        <Opcode>0</Opcode>
        <Keywords>0x8080000000000000</Keywords>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2014-01-21T21:46:44.959961600Z" />
        <EventRecordID>2644</EventRecordID>
        <Correlation />
        <Execution ProcessID="540" ThreadID="1732" />
        <Channel>System</Channel>
        <Security />
      </System>
      <EventData>
        <Data Name="param1">Windows Server Essentials Management Service</Data>
        <Data Name="param2">4</Data>
        <Binary>5700730065004D0067006D0074005300760063000000</Binary>
      </EventData>
    </Event>

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Source:        Microsoft-Windows-CertificationAuthority
    Date:          1/21/2014 12:54:21 PM
    Event ID:      46
    Keywords:     
    Description:
    The "Windows default" Exit Module "Notify" method returned an error. The media is write protected. The returned status code is 0x80070013 (19).  The Certification Authority was unable to send an email notification for EXITEVENT_SHUTDOWN to Unavailable.

Event Xml:
      <System>
        <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-CertificationAuthority" Guid="{6A71D062-9AFE-4F35-AD08-52134F85DFB9}" />
        <EventID>46</EventID>
        <Version>0</Version>
        <Level>2</Level>
        <Task>0</Task>
        <Opcode>0</Opcode>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2014-01-21T20:54:21.403341700Z" />
        <EventRecordID>1149</EventRecordID>
        <Correlation />
        <Execution ProcessID="1416" ThreadID="1420" />
      </System>
      <EventData Name="MSG_E_EXIT_ERROR">
        <Data Name="ExitModuleDescription">Windows default</Data>
        <Data Name="MethodName">Notify</Data>
        <Data Name="ErrorCode">0x80070013 (19)</Data>
        <Data Name="param4">The Certification Authority was unable to send an email notification for EXITEVENT_SHUTDOWN to Unavailable.
    </Data>
        <Data Name="ErrorString">The media is write protected.</Data>
      </EventData>
    </Event>

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Source:        Microsoft-Windows-CertificationAuthority
    Date:          1/21/2014 12:55:37 PM
    Event ID:      91
    Keywords:     
    Description:
    Could not connect to the Active Directory.  Active Directory Certificate Services will retry when processing requires Active Directory access.
    Event Xml:
      <System>
        <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-CertificationAuthority" Guid="{6A71D062-9AFE-4F35-AD08-52134F85DFB9}" />
        <EventID>91</EventID>
        <Version>0</Version>
        <Level>2</Level>
        <Task>0</Task>
        <Opcode>0</Opcode>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2014-01-21T20:55:37.416852800Z" />
        <EventRecordID>1153</EventRecordID>
        <Correlation />
        <Execution ProcessID="1432" ThreadID="1436" />
      </System>
      <EventData Name="MSG_E_DS_RETRY">
      </EventData>
    </Event>

• Edited by BitFlipper Tuesday, January 21, 2014 10:07 PM
    Tuesday, January 21, 2014 10:06 PM
  • OK after the 5th install of WS 2012 R2 E, I did not set up the server backup this time. All I did was reboot once after the all automated default setup tasks completed, and now I have the same issue once again. This is an absolute clean installation with zero updates, and no configuration changes whatsoever. None of the Essentials dashboard tasks have been configured.

I get the error events shown in the previous post in the following chronological sequence:

1. CertificationAuthority (Could not connect to the AD)
    2. Application Error (SharedServiceHost.exe, ServerBeacon.dll crashes)
    3. Service Control Manager (Essentials Management Service terminated unexpectedly)

I'm at a loss. I will install all updates now but I have a feeling it isn't going to help since it didn't help in any of the previous installs.

Any help appreciated.

• Edited by BitFlipper Tuesday, January 21, 2014 11:38 PM
    Tuesday, January 21, 2014 11:38 PM
  • Email me at susan-at-msmvps.com (change the -at- to @) and how about we get you looked at by support so we can figure out what's going on.

Updates won't help. I'd rather you stop right here and leave the system in it's state so we can see what's going on.

Tuesday, January 21, 2014 11:44 PM
  • Susan,

OK I was able to cancel the updates before it actually installed anything. I will email you.

Tuesday, January 21, 2014 11:50 PM
  • Just an update...

Support has been working on this issue for about a week now without much success. While they were using the physical server, I experimented with installing WS 2012 R2 E in a VM, and got the same result with WseMgmtSvc not starting after rebooting.

After some experimentation it became clear that this has something to do with the network, since if I set the VM network to an isolated network, the problem does not reproduce. Change the network to connect to the real network again, and the problem returns.

More testing showed that if I disable IPv6, the problem also no longer reproduces. I have not tried this in the physical server yet but I'm sure I will get the same result. I don't want to change anything on the physical server right now since I don't want to interfere with support's ongoing testing.

Maybe this is some incompatibility with some NICs/routers/switches/repeaters' IPv6 implementations, not sure. 

So, the bottom line is that if you run into this problem, disable IPv6 on the server's NIC if you don't need it, then reboot.

Friday, January 31, 2014 1:54 AM
  • This worked for me too. The service now starts again. This is pretty concerning though. 

Ade

Sunday, March 02, 2014 4:15 AM
  • MS support has spent a lot of time narrowing down this issue in my environment. They are taking this seriously and I believe they have a good understanding of the root cause now. I'm sure this issue will be fixed in an upcoming patch.

This has something to do with ServerBeacon.dll crashing when your server is not assigned an IPv6 address. Normally it should be, but in some rare cases it is not (buggy router maybe). The last thing support was trying to determine was why the server is not getting an IPv6 address assigned.

But the ultimate solution would be to fix ServerBeacon.dll to handle this edge case properly.

• Edited by BitFlipper Sunday, March 02, 2014 6:37 PM
    Sunday, March 02, 2014 6:33 PM
  • Worked for me :) Thanks !! :D
    Saturday, March 15, 2014 7:09 PM
  • This has just happened to me on server 2012 Essential R2. Applied latest updates reboot and service not able to start.

What makes it work I'm running software type raid with parity that uses NZFS and its service cannot be started as well, just because of the latest updates. 

Removing  them does not help :(  Not happy at all!

Sunday, March 16, 2014 11:39 AM
  • If you scroll back up above the fix was to remove and restore an devices.xml file. 

Unfortunately TechNet subscriptions aren't coming back, sorry folks :-(

Sunday, March 16, 2014 3:32 PM
  • If you scroll back up above the fix was to remove and restore an devices.xml file. 

Susan I think that was tried in my case but it didn't help. In my case, the only thing you had to do after a completely clean installation was to reboot the server and the issue would reproduce. No patches even needed to be installed.

I think this issue specifically happens when no IPv6 address gets assigned to the server for some unknown reason.

EDIT: Unless you were specifically talking about Striffe's case which looks to be a bit different.
    • Edited by BitFlipper Sunday, March 16, 2014 4:41 PM
    Sunday, March 16, 2014 4:39 PM
  • This has just happened to me on server 2012 Essential R2. Applied latest updates reboot and service not able to start.

What makes it work I'm running software type raid with parity that uses NZFS and its service cannot be started as well, just because of the latest updates. 

Removing  them does not help :(  Not happy at all!

Check to see if the server has an IPv6 address assigned. If not, disable IPv6, reboot and see if the problem goes away.

My suspicion is that it wasn't the patches that triggered the issue, but the reboot.

• Edited by BitFlipper Sunday, March 16, 2014 4:44 PM
    Sunday, March 16, 2014 4:43 PM
  • "Symptom: The "Windows Server Essentials Management Service" terminated unexpectedly

Cause:
    Corruption in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Server\Data\DevicesInfo.xml file

Resolution:
    Replaced the file from DevicesInfo.xml.bak

was able to start the service successfully"

This took care of my issue. :-)

I've been running WS 2012 R2 Essentials for almost a month and just now starting having this issue. The only thing that has changed this month so far was the 7 updates that were installed a few days ago and the Windows Server Essentials Media Pack that I just installed.

I first tried disabling ipv6 but that didn't help my issue. So then I tried this solution and once I deleted DevicesInfo.xml and restored the backup, I was able to start the Windows Server Essentials Management Services. I have since enabled ipv6 again and the service is still working.

Thanks for posting this Susan.
    Sunday, March 16, 2014 10:58 PM
  • I'll bet it's not the updates, but something wonky happening that a reboot triggers.

Sunday, March 16, 2014 11:21 PM
  • I would agree, I just wanted to mention what changes had happen recently. I believe the updates and installing the media pack were just coincidental.
    Monday, March 17, 2014 5:52 AM
  • I am also getting error 1067, I have disabled IP v6 and have renamed the deviceinfo.xml file and still have the same error 1067 when trying to start the WseMgmtSvc service. Any new development or suggestions on this?
    Saturday, March 22, 2014 7:23 PM
  • You'll need to open a support case as that's all we have.  There's been no other development or suggestions.

Saturday, March 22, 2014 7:45 PM
  • I am also getting error 1067, I have disabled IP v6 and have renamed the deviceinfo.xml file and still have the same error 1067 when trying to start the WseMgmtSvc service. Any new development or suggestions on this?

Where have you disabled IPv6? In the NIC properties? And did you reboot?
    Saturday, March 22, 2014 9:13 PM
  • Yup, unchecked IP v6 from NIC properties, I ended up deleting the backup drive and re-configuring backup. I have the server backup working ok now but have not enabled client backup again. I assume the problem will come back if I enable the client backup.
    Wednesday, April 02, 2014 2:33 AM
  • Home user, made the transition from WHS. (Happy for many years)

I had this problem a few times, restored a previous backup as an easy solution but that doesn't work now.
    I disabled IPv6, renamed the deviceinfo.xml but without succes.

Is there a fix for this problem yet? I definitely need help because I'm out of ideas.

Sunday, April 06, 2014 1:57 PM