none
Some workstations slow to open files on 2008r2 share?

Question

• We have been moving from Novell to Microsoft for a couple years company wide.  Until now, other than outlook, the apps were all local with the data being moved from a Novell server to a 2008R2 server.  A week ago we moved our final drive which was three apps the run .exe's from the server directories.  Out of 300 PCs - all replaced in the last year based on ghosts - about 25 took ten minutes to run an app from the shortcut.  All the other PCs don't have the trouble.  I first went to that vendor but after troubleshooting, I realized they had slow connections to any windows drives.  They were fine hitting the Novell drives.  I'm guessing since they only pulled documents from the MS drives until now, the slowdown wasn't felt. Running the larger exe is where the problem started to show.  I've tried many things I found online so far to no resolution.  These things include:

autotuning set to restricted, normal or disabled

turned smb2 off/on

turned RDC off/on

set NIC to autonegotiate

Not server or switch based as good PC is sometimes in the cube right beside bad pc.

ran windows update

same NIC drv between good and bad PCs

Any ideas where to go next?  Thanks for your help!

Friday, December 27, 2013 8:23 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Before going further, what’s the operating systems of these workstations?  

The following article focuses on slow network performance when opening a file located in a shared folder on a remote computer, and may be worth taking a look at.

Slow network performance when you open a file that is located in a shared folder on a remote network computer

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/829700/en-us

Best regards,

Frank Shen

Friday, January 03, 2014 10:38 AM

All replies

• Do you have only internal DNS servers listed in the IP client settings (or option 6 from DHCP) of all workstations and servers?

Is the Novell client still installed?

Have you checked your Binding order in the network adapters window advanced settings dialog box?

Sunday, December 29, 2013 6:52 AM
  • Hi,

Before going further, what’s the operating systems of these workstations?  

The following article focuses on slow network performance when opening a file located in a shared folder on a remote computer, and may be worth taking a look at.

Slow network performance when you open a file that is located in a shared folder on a remote network computer

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/829700/en-us

Best regards,

Frank Shen

Friday, January 03, 2014 10:38 AM