none
How does faxing work with SBS 2011??

Question

• I have never used the Fax capabilities of SBS.  Does it require a fax modem be installed on the server?  Or, does it work with online (eFax) services?  I do not have a fax modem in my SBS server nor do I have the fax phone line coming into my equipment room.  What I would like to do is eliminate the fax hardware of the existing fax machine with an online fax solution.  I would like it to to be fully automated.  Inbound faxes are delivered somewhere and then the fax is automatically delivered to the correct user mailbox by reading the fax cover sheet looking for a first name, last name combo, or email alias.  Is this even possible? 

At the very least, can I use an online fax service to deliver faxes to a "Fax Mailbox" on my SBS 2011 server and have the users access the mailbox for their fax retreival? 

Any recommendations for inexpensive online fax services that integrate with SBS 2011???

Thank you

-Randy Fleszar

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 11:27 PM

Answers

All replies

• I look after two SBS2011 sites that use USrobotics USB fax modems and have medium volme faxing working perfectly. Yes they have phone lines in the server room. That was a low cost change on both as the server room was the demarc room for phones.
    Guzzifrank
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 5:28 AM
  • @Randy L. Fleszar

You can refer to following documentation from technet to configure fax on sbs 2011:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc527590.aspx

Please buy a serial business class modem.Donot go for usb modem's as they are known to cause a lot of issue's.You can refer to following list as a reference point:

http://www.windowsservercatalog.com/results.aspx?bCatID=1459&cpID=0&avc=10&OR=1Solution

Also check following post where a similar issue has been discussed:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-AU/smallbusinessserver/thread/aad4b18c-4472-4225-ad56-d04b2339c6cd

Thursday, September 15, 2011 6:19 AM
  • SBS requires the fax modem to be installed on the server.

I am not quite clear about the online fax service, but if it installs a fax driver on your machine and Windows recognizes it correctly, SBS should work with it.

----------------------------------------------------

This post is "AS IS" and confers no rights.

Thursday, September 15, 2011 2:11 PM
  • My client will eliminate all POTS phone lines into their offices and want to go to Internet for all data communications.  Adding a fax modem to the SBS server is not an option. 

My client as signed up for an online fax service, ExtremeFax, which hosts their fax phone number and emails a fax to a mailbox located on their on-premise SBS 2011/Exchange 2010 server.

I think all I need to do is figure out how to deliver the Fax emails to the "Incoming Faxes" folder of the Fax Center on the Companyweb SharePoint site.  Can this be done?  What do I need to set up on the Exchange Server and the SharePoint Server/IIS?

Thanks.

-Randy

• Proposed as answer by Mike Medeiros Thursday, May 31, 2012 1:13 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Mike Medeiros Thursday, May 31, 2012 1:13 PM
    Monday, September 19, 2011 5:00 PM
  • Hi Randy, as Yang Lei said, if you can install a fax driver on your computer, this should work. Can you add this online fax service and let SBS2011 recognize it? If that is the case, you should be able to route fax emails to Incoming Faxes folder. To confirm this, you may also need to contact with ExtremeFax support:

http://www.extremefax.com/support.html

Please Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 8:55 AM
  • ExtremeFax is an online fax service where you send a fax to the "cloud" and extremefax sends an email to a specified STMP address with the fax as a .pdf attachment.  It is not a hardware solution.  And, there is no software or drivers that come with the service.  I would like to have those emails delivered to the "Incoming Faxes" folder on the SBS Companyweb SharePoint site.  Any ideas?

-Randy

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 3:15 PM
  • Tuesday, September 20, 2011 3:23 PM
  • Perfect!  This is exactly what I am looking for.  Thank you!
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 3:26 PM
  • You are welcome.

Please let us know if you were able to achieve your objective with it.

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 3:29 PM
  • jkazama,

I was able to get this to work.. here's what I did.

I followed the steps in the blog post http://blogs.technet.com/b/sbs/archive/2011/03/18/how-to-configure-email-routing-to-sharepoint-in-sbs-2011.aspx and configured the ExtremeFax settings to deliver to the SMTP address of the distribution group.  Thus making the SharePoint document library the general incoming fax drop for their location.  ExtremeFax sends an email with the fax as an attachment which is ultimately delivered to the document library.  All the user has to do is go to http://companyweb and click on the quick link to the document library and their fax is there. 

If you have questions or would like me to detail the steps I took, please let me know.

Thanks for your help.

-Randy

Thursday, September 22, 2011 2:53 AM
  • Hello Randy,

It will be great if you can post the details of steps you took so that other forum members can use it as a refrence point

Thanks for the update :)

Thursday, September 22, 2011 8:51 AM
  • That's not a problem.  When using internet for data communications it's generally sip and easy to add a FXS port.  FXS port provides your phone line to the fax modem and just pipes the data through it's hosted service or sip trunk.  Just be sure to set the line to use g711u for it's codec
    Thursday, May 31, 2012 1:17 PM
  • Joy Fax Server allows you to send and receive faxes in a network environment by using a public phone line. Our easy-to-use Fax software also can offer you the ability to manage your group faxing and the fax contact lists.

The Fax server receives incoming faxes, then prints them or emails them to your mail box automatically. Outgoing fax jobs are submitted to the server from Joyfax Client running on the workstations or terminal server clients(i.e. Citrix Client). Network clients are automatically notified when incoming faxes are received and of the results of outgoing fax jobs. FoIP Supported!

Tuesday, June 11, 2013 3:05 AM