none
Deploying Office 2013 with MDT 2012 - Silent Installation

Question

• Guys

I'm playing around with MDT 2012 and trying to deploy Office 2013 without any user interaction (silent install)

I have added the source files to the Applications folder under my Deployment Share and then edited the Config.xml file under Applications>Office 2013>Properties>Office Products tab and then "Edit Config.xml"

It looks like this:
    Please take notice of the 2nd line
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/81568202/Screen%20Shot%202012-11-25%20at%2021.33.56.png

With the config.xml file edited, I now need a little help with what to enter in the "Quiet install command"

I have tried the following but it doesnt work:
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/81568202/Screen%20Shot%202012-11-25%20at%2021.34.47.png

Since the screenshot doesn't show the whole command that I entered, here it is "setup.exe /config C:\Users\Administrator\Desktop\Project Genesis\Office2013\proplusr.ww\config.xml"

I am following this link here http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd630736.aspx#BKMK_ModfyConfigxml

It meantions this:

After you modify the Config.xml file to specify silent installation options, you can install Office Professional Plus 2013 by using the following command:

\\server\share\Office15\setup.exe /config \\server\share\Office15\ProPlus.WW\config.xml

Where:

\\server\share\Office15 is the path of the Office Professional Plus 2013 source files.

/config is a Setup command-line option that specifies the location of the Config.xml file. See Setup command-line options for Office 2013.

\\server\share\Office15\ProPlus.WW\config.xml is the location of your customized Config.xml file for Office Professional Plus 2013.

Can someone please kindly tell me what I need to type in the "Quiet install command" ?

Many thanks in advance.

• Edited by Dead Cell Sunday, November 25, 2012 9:57 PM
    Sunday, November 25, 2012 9:51 PM

Answers

• Hey Dead Cell

I currently are using the following to install:
    setup.exe /config config.xml /adminfile custom.msp

This is my installation, i have used setup.exe /admin to create my msp file.
    I would say what are you are doing there is okay, but you haven't specified any productkey (you might see something in the eventviewer :)).

If you do the following, you actually don't need to do anything but start your setup.exe

1: Create an msp file, which you place inside the "\\server\share\Office15\updates" folde
    2: Create your config.xml file, which you call config.xml - and place this file in the \\server\share\office15

The setup is configured to automaticly look in the install folder for a config.xml file, if it is there, it is used.
    All msp's inside "updates" folder is also automaticly applied.

Kind Regards
    Morten Leth

• Marked as answer by Dead Cell Monday, November 26, 2012 2:15 PM
    Monday, November 26, 2012 1:31 PM

All replies

• Hey Dead Cell

I currently are using the following to install:
    setup.exe /config config.xml /adminfile custom.msp

This is my installation, i have used setup.exe /admin to create my msp file.
    I would say what are you are doing there is okay, but you haven't specified any productkey (you might see something in the eventviewer :)).

If you do the following, you actually don't need to do anything but start your setup.exe

1: Create an msp file, which you place inside the "\\server\share\Office15\updates" folde
    2: Create your config.xml file, which you call config.xml - and place this file in the \\server\share\office15

The setup is configured to automaticly look in the install folder for a config.xml file, if it is there, it is used.
    All msp's inside "updates" folder is also automaticly applied.

Kind Regards
    Morten Leth

• Marked as answer by Dead Cell Monday, November 26, 2012 2:15 PM
    Monday, November 26, 2012 1:31 PM
  • Hi Morten, many thanks for your response to my post.

I have been told this morning by my colleague that there is no need for me to mess around with the config.xml file and that I should be using OCT to create a custom .msp file and then place that in to the Updates folder just like you mention.

So it seems that I have been creating more work for myself going via this route but I thought it would work but just couldn't get the parameters right.

So you mentioned that I should place the config.xml file in this location \\server\share\Office15\updates but the thing is my setup files are not store in a share and exist on the C:\drive\User\Desktop\Office 2013. Also I assume that once I have added all the source files for the application to the Deployment share, I would then need to make the changes in D:\DeploymentShare\Application\Office 2013 in order for it to work?

Or maybe I should make all the necessary changes to the config.xml file before adding to MDT?

I will go home tonight and download the Office 2013 Admin Tools which contains the UPDATES folder and then create a custom .msp file and try it that way, if it works then I can just forget about the config.xml file until I become more familiar with MDT 2012 and App Deployment in general.

Cheers for your time Morten, very much appreciated.

Monday, November 26, 2012 2:15 PM
  • Hi

I would change everything and make it function prior to adding it to MDT. :)

The placement of config.xml is NOT in the updates folder, but instead in the same folder as the setup.exe (as stated, if it's placed alongside with the setup.exe, the setup.exe will use it by default).

The placement of your .msp is in the .\updates folder.

You don't need the office 2013 admin tools to create all of this. :)

When you do a "setup.exe /admin" you activate the OCT, where you can create your msp file.

Kind Regards
    Morten Leth

Monday, November 26, 2012 2:20 PM
  • Morten

Understood, I will make changes before adding to MDT.

That's good, I was getting confused where to put the xml file so now I know.

Just to add that the version of Office 2013 I have does not contain an UPDATES folder so when I run the commang "Setup.exe /admin" I get an error.

But my colleague sent me this link http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=30341 which basically contains the Admin folder which I can simply add to the root folder of Office 2013 thus solving this problem.

You have been a great help and I can't wait to get home and play with this.

PS: I assume it would be possible to simply place the office 2013 sources files on a share and then simply use CMD on the target machine with the above commands you mentioned to test to see if office 2013 installs silently rather than having to deploy Windows over and over again?

Pressing F12 to PXE boot and install Windows 8 takes about 20 minutes before the Office 2013 install kicks in and then if it doesn't work I then have to make changes and re-deploy all over again, so installing Office 2013 from a shared network to a target machine would be so much quicker to test.

Thanks buddy

Monday, November 26, 2012 3:26 PM