Virtual Machine Manager – General announcement
This forum is dedicated to questions about SCVMM (System Center Virtual Machine Manager). Please use good judgement to post your question to the relevant subforums.
If your question is not about this product, please find the correct forum here: http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/default.aspx?SiteID=17.
When posting a question or an issue, it is helpful to include the product version you have question about, your VMM setup environment, the steps you tried and specific error message you observed.
A few related forums for your ease of reference are:
Hyper-V (Server Virtualization) forum
Windows Powershell forum
WMI / WinRM issues:
Server Core forum:
Windows Failover Clustering forum:
For general information about troubleshooting VMM 2012, such as collecting traces and logging information, see VMM 2012 General Troubleshooting Guide (http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=211124) on the Microsoft Download Center. .
1. Install DebugView on the SCVMM server, the host in question, and/or the Web server (for troubleshooting self-service portal issues).
2. Save the following code into a text file and name it "odsflags.cmd":
echo ODS control flags - only trace with set flags will go to ODS
if (%1)==() goto :HELP
if (%1)==(-?) goto :HELP
if (%1)==(/?) goto :HELP
echo Setting flag to %1...
reg ADD "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Tracing\Microsoft\Carmine" /v ODSFLAGS /t REG_DWORD /d %1 /f
echo Usage: odsflags [flag], where flag is
echo TRACE_ERROR = 0x2,
echo TRACE_DBG_NORMAL = 0x4,
echo TRACE_DBG_VERBOSE = 0x8,
echo TRACE_PERF = 0x10,
echo TRACE_TEST_INFO = 0x20,
echo TRACE_TEST_WARNING = 0x40,
echo TRACE_TEST_ERROR = 0x80,
3. Save the following code into a text file and name it "odson.reg":
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
4. Save the following code into a text file and name it "odsoff.reg":
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
5. Copy the three files created above, odsflags.cmd, odson.reg, and odsoff.reg, to the machines that DebugView will be used on.
6. Run the following commands at an elevated Command Prompt:
(If you need to collect traces for both VMM Server and the host or the Web server, make sure to run these commands on all of these computers).
1. Open DebugView as an administrator and ensure that both Capture Win32 and Capture Global Win32 are selected on the Capture menu item. You should be able to see tracing from the VMM components showing up in DebugView. (If you need to collect traces for both VMM Server and the host, make sure to do these steps on all of these computers).
Figure 2: DebugView.exe Capture menu
2. Restart the Virtual Machine Manager Service on the SCVMM server by running the following commands at an elevated command prompt:
net stop vmmservice
net start vmmservice
3. Restart the Virtual Disk Service by running the following commands at an elevated command prompt:
net stop vds
net start vds
4. Restart the Virtual Machine Manager Agent service on the host by running the following commands at an elevated command prompt:
net stop vmmagent
net start vmmagent
5. Restart the IIS service on the Web server by running the following command at an elevated command prompt:
6. Reproduce the issue.
7. After reproducing the issue, save the output from the DebugView to a text file for analysis.
Turn off tracing after collecting the data by running the following command at a Command Prompt:
The format of a DebugView trace differs from that of an ETL trace since DebugView captures all Win32 application activity and, if selected, Kernel mode activity. If saved as a text file, it may be opened in other tools such as TextAnalysisTool.net or Trace32.
Proposed0VotesI have a hyper-v environment with system center 2012 Virtual machine manager. I am trying to figure out a way with powershell to list all of my VM's and their MAC address with the description if ...
On VMM managed cluster hosts, I can't figure out why most of my hosts answer port 5900 and the others 2179, but not bothBelow, you see a netcat list of my hosts. Most are answering port 5900, but not 2179. The list on the bottom is answering 2179, but not 5900. I need to know for 3 reason why this is, ...
Unanswered0VotesI've deployed NVGRE Gateway and added a virtual network using NAT and it works fine.. ...about 15 minutes then everything stops. I have ping running to external IP address and it ...
Answered0VotesHello, What's the difference between making an IP Pool for a Logical Network or for a VM Network. Are they the same thing? I notice there's the option to create ...
Unanswered0VotesHaving problem to add a second Library server to my system. The system looks like this: One Storage Cluster With one node thats created With VMM. One Hyper-V ...
Answered0VotesHi We are running a 4 host Hyper-V cluster and recently upgraded to SCVMM 2012. Whenever a VM is migrated between hosts, or when we perform a "Migrate Storate", the job ...
Unanswered0VotesHi. i have an issue with shared iso and yes i know that several people already posted about this but i havent seen any actual resolution. i have configured ...
Answered0VotesHi all, Anyone have any suggestions on how to move the SCVMM VM itself (running SCVMM 2012 R2 on Server 2012 R2 vm) to a new host server? It is currently on a standalone ...
Answered0VotesVMware could create multiple VMs using one template at the same time. Is it possible for VMM to manage VMware and provide this feature? (i.e. create VMs on VMware using 1 template ...
Unanswered0VotesHi there, I'm having a play about with WAP but I can't seem to add in a subscription to my account, I've followed troubleshooting guides ...
Unanswered0VotesSCVMM 2012 R2 has been working fine for the past 3 weeks. 2 days ago the admin console crashed and now when I try to open it, it just crashes and is in a crash loop. It won't open. I ...
Unanswered0VotesHi All. I have a tricky problem, i create a machine i SCVMM and prestage it in MDT2013, via powershell scripting, that part works very ...
Answered3VotesScenario: Hardware: HP DL360G7 fully updated with 80GB RAM, 32 Procs, 120GB as boot from SAN, 750GB P2000 G3 SAN LUN as ...
Unanswered0VotesHardware: IBM x3850, RSA version 1.42 (latest) Bare metal deployment from the SCVMM GUI (2012R2) fails with error code 1001. Wrong SMBIOS GUID is reported ...0 Replies | 77 Views | Created by Clab79 - Monday, March 03, 2014 3:28 PM
Answered0VotesMY company has been using SCVMM 2012 SP1 (Update Rollup 5) for a while but, given we already have SCCM, we only recently started playing with SCVMM's service templates. When we try to depoy a ...
Unanswered0VotesIs it possible to script or run a command to get the disk space being used by the operating system through SCVMM? We have a lot of dynamic VHDs and I would like to see how much bloat there is. IE I ...
- Items 1 to 20 of 3955 Next ›