Thursday, October 13, 2011 3:05 PM
When I opened IE9 it would always hang, never giving me the ability to disable add-ons or return to default settings. (I am running Windows 7 64-bit OS).
STEP ONE: I went to the MS website and downloaded IE9. I began with 32-bit thinking it would be more stable, but it gave a message saying it wouldn't run on my version of windows. So I downloaded 64-bit, and tried to install. I got a message saying that the version on my machine was later than the version I was trying to install and it wouldn't let me proceed. Huh??? Surely not? But it gets stranger.
STEP TWO: I uninstalled IE9 in control panel and rebooted. Surprisingly IE9 was still there after reboot, even though I had uninstalled it and a check of Control Panel no longer showed it as installed. Huh??? OK, it is getting close to Halloween, I admit.
STEP THREE: I went back to the website and tried to download and install IE9. It gave me a message that Internet Explorer did not finish installing.
So if I can't install, I can't uninstall in order to reinstall, and I can't repair, how do I fix this?
Monday, October 17, 2011 7:47 AMModerator
You could reset and start Internet Explorer in "No Add-ons" mode via other ways without opening Internet Explorer 9:
1. Start Internet Explorer in "No Add-ons" mode:
Click All Programs in the start menu and then--> accessories-->system tools-->internet explorer (No Add-ons)
2. Reset Internet Explorer settings:
1) Click Start, Control Panel, Network and security and then click Internet Options
2) On the Advanced tab, follow one of these steps:
Click Reset, click Reset in the Reset Internet Explorer Settings dialog box, and then click Close.
3) Test Internet Explorer to determine whether the problem is resolved
If this issue persists, please uninstall Internet Explorer 9 as follow:
1. Log on to the computer as an administrator.
2. Close all Internet Explorer browser windows.
3. Run the following command:
FORFILES /P %WINDIR%\servicing\Packages /M Microsoft-Windows-InternetExplorer-*9.*.mum /c "cmd /c echo Uninstalling package @fname && start /w pkgmgr /up:@fname /norestart"
4. After the command runs, and the Command Prompt window returns, repeat step 3.
5. Restart the computer to complete uninstallation of Internet Explorer 9
Also, you could try system restore to go back to a previous time point which is dated before you installed Internet Explorer 9.
Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
- Marked As Answer by Miya YaoModerator Wednesday, October 26, 2011 2:05 AM
Saturday, April 28, 2012 12:49 PMThis also happened to me - although I have 32 bit 7 - these remedies you suggest didn't work for me - when I ran the command it couldn't find Microsoft-Windows-InternetExplorer-*9.*.mum - so how do I re-install IE9 if it won't download as I already have it on my system, but my system can't find it?