Thursday, September 13, 2012 2:32 PM
I have several users in our organization who cannot get internet explorer to open any websites. We are not on a domain or VPN either we all work on independent internet sources. When ever they launch I.E. it just loads constantly and will never fully connect. We run Win7Pro(64bit) on our laptops.
I have downloaded Firefox to test connections. The internet runs smooth via FF with no issues.
I have also done the following
1. Click Start, please type "inetcpl.cpl" (without quotation marks) in the Start Search bar and press Enter to open the Internet options window.
2. Switch to the Advanced tab.
3. Click the Reset Internet Explorer Settings button.
4. Click Reset to confirm the operation.
5. Click Close when the resetting process finished.
6. Uncheck Enable third-party browser extensions option in the Settings box.
7. Click Apply, click OK.
Internet Explorer both regular and 64bit will not load any web sites. I have also tried running it as Admin and it still will not load any websites.
I have doing the uninstall process
Click the Start button , type Programs and Features in the search box, and then click View installed updates in the left pane.
Under Uninstall an update, scroll down to the Microsoft Windows section.
Right-click Windows Internet Explorer 9, click Uninstall, and then, when prompted, click Yes.
Click one of the following:
Restart now (to finish the process of uninstalling Internet Explorer 9 and restore the previous version of Internet Explorer).
After that did not work I tried the Microsoft Fix it 50778 to completely remove it. did not work it left IE installed and now whenever I open it says please install the latest version. Attempt to do this and the install fails every time. I've tried turning it off and on again and nothing. I enabled the the admin account in windows 7 to try and completely remove it but it tells me I do not have the proper permissions to remove the files. My final step will be to restore the computers to factory but before I did I want to see if anyone has any further suggestions on this issue?
This issue seems to be spreading. Was there a bad windows update that went out?
Thursday, September 13, 2012 8:46 PM
See if you have anything in common here,<o:p></o:p>
Go to Internet options and the Content section and Clear ssl state,
Mcefee security has had some issue with ie9/ Not compatible.
This is quick and should be done first,<o:p></o:p>
- Edited by dissed Thursday, September 13, 2012 8:46 PM
Friday, September 14, 2012 7:24 AMModerator
I suggest you try the following to narrow down the issue:
1. Temporarily turn off the firewall to check the result
2. Test issue in Clean Boot mode and Safe Mode with networking
3. Use the anti-virus program to scan for the virus.
Hope this helps.
TechNet Community Support
Monday, September 17, 2012 1:20 PM
Just out of interest, try enabling ActiveX Filtering (Tools > ActiveX Filtering)
That has resolved the page loading issue for a lot of my users but it also causes problems with pages (such as a google search result).
Did you recently install Hotfix KB2736233 ? Update Rollup for ActiveX Killbits for Server 2008 R2?
On the KB2699988 front, that's definitely not our issue as that was installed last month without any issue. It only happened last week after the following were installed:
KB2719857, 982726, 890930, 2736233, 2741355, 2735855
Of those I'd have thought that the ActiveX one would be the most likely culprit, downside is you can't uninstall it.
Friday, September 21, 2012 1:39 PM
Thanks everyone for the support tips so far.
I've tried the things suggested since then and one of the things I tried was recommended by an old professor. She said try and remove Security Update for Microsoft Windows 7 (KB2585542) and that worked for the basic users logging in to the current site (until Auto Update reinstalls it) but the Admins seem to still need a certificate verification which has been working until about 2 weeks ago.
All of the system have Symantec Cloud on them for antivirus and have had that on them for nearly a year so I don't believe it is the cause (but will test disabling it. McAfee would never be on any of my systems lol.)
Honestly out of all of this I've done I was beginning to think it was tied to the companies site but a few other techs in the friends in our field said they've had the same issue and have just installed Firefox or Chrome because they too could not bypass this issues either.
I'll take a look for that Hotfix, but I'm not 100% and also try the ActiveX filtering
dissed, Vincent Wang, and Smith Partnership thank you so far for you assistance. I'll be back to let you know if anything changes.
Friday, September 21, 2012 4:11 PM
Find and fix issues with uninstalling programs,<o:p></o:p>
Do not save any personal settings and use the recommended install.
Lastly test this,
Go to internet options/ Advanced section first click on the Reset button, apply and okay.
Go back and go to the Security section and move the slider up or down and apply,
Then click on Reset all zones to default, apply,
Then click on the Custom level button,
Scroll all the way to the bottom,
Check the box Disable xss filtering, apply and okay.
Shut down your machine and test ie9.
I'd like to add Norton is not much better than Mcafee,
There is most likely an addon that is blocking ie9/ toolbar....