Sunday, November 04, 2007 3:48 PM
Ok after months of trying I have finally got this error sorted and here’s how.
1. Restart your computer into safe mode.
2. Login using the Administrators account
3. In Start, Accessories, right click on Command Prompt, and click on Run as Administrator
4. In DOS type:- net stop cryptsvc
5. Press enter and wait for the computer to say its stop this service
6. Close DOS and remain in Windows Safe Mode.
7. Go into My computer and navigate to your Windows directory
8. Find the folder windows\software distribution and remove the contents, but not the folder it’s self
9. Then navigate to windows\system32\catroot2 folder and remove the content of that folder
10. Right click on the catroot2 folder and rename it to catroot3
11. Restart windows and login as normal.
12. Once logged into windows run Windows Update from the Start menu. Download and install updates as normal.
13. Norton’s Internet 2008 may ask you for permission for Live updates to go online, depends on your setting with Norton.
I hope this works for every one who is still having problems with this error. I did this exact process last night after 6 months with no updates and now my computer is all updated and working fine.
Good luck to you all, and thank you to every one that helped me.
Monday, June 09, 2008 7:49 AM
Thanks Pal, It went like a piece of cake. No problem.
Just followed instructions word by word and I am on track.
Thursday, February 19, 2009 4:42 PMTGShaftoe1
Many thanks. I am glad, that with your help have solved such problem.
Saturday, March 28, 2009 9:38 PMWow thank you VERY much everyone who helped to figure this out so good :)
Been ages with no updates and now all working fine!
Great job =)
Tuesday, March 20, 2012 3:16 PM
thanks alot for the post, also had problems for 6 months.. finally!!
Sunday, May 27, 2012 1:40 PM
Even though this is found in a Vista forum, I had the same problem with Windows 7/64.
I followed the steps and shazam! it worked like a million bucks. Thanks ever so much.
Thursday, June 28, 2012 10:30 AM
thank,s very much all done but had to run microsoft mr fixit just to open gateway,s ect
as we say in norfolk england you are a good old boy
pity microsoft cant sort out this error
- Edited by bobby54921 Thursday, June 28, 2012 10:34 AM
Thursday, September 06, 2012 7:11 PM
Have this problem for over 2 months. I have tried various solutions, downloaded 'fixes' from Microsoft, followed instructions from a number of sites but unfortunately nothing worked.
Today, I have seen your suggestion, and followed it to the letter. IT WORKED PERFECTLY !!! Thank you very much.
I think your suggestion to do the changes in Safe Mode was the main difference to every other solution I have tried. Well done !!!
Microsoft should reward you for this, since they could not solve THEIR problem themselves.
- Edited by Sonyuser2012 Thursday, September 06, 2012 7:12 PM
Monday, September 10, 2012 12:45 AM
Thank you so much, this has sorted out my computer update 8E5E03FA
All that frustration in not being able to install this update (for over a month) was sorted out within minutes once I printed a copy of your instructions before going into Safe Mode
Can only say how easy it was to do and send my thanks, Freddie
Tuesday, October 09, 2012 11:38 AM
Worked beautifully for me as well - Thank you for being much more help than even Microsoft's paid support staff.
- Edited by John Hard Tuesday, October 09, 2012 11:39 AM
Thursday, October 18, 2012 5:07 PM
Thank you for your prompt reply. The problem seems to appeared when I installed the update from Vista to Windows 7.
I'm using Norton 360 for my virus protection and fire wall.
I have trouble going into My Computer and navigating to widows directory. Also finding the folder windows\ software distribution and removing
content. Also with windows\system32\catroot2 folder. This folder is readily found in dos.
Once again Thank You for your help.
Monday, January 07, 2013 6:07 PMDoes this work with windows vista 64 bit? That's what I have and am getting the same problem!