Saturday, August 11, 2012 4:09 PM
I'm cross-posting a reply here form a different forum, because the original post was for Server 2003 but this also now happens on Windows XP SP3 as well:
I go to Start..Microsoft Update. The system "loops" over and over for about 3-4 minutes jumping between
Saturday, August 11, 2012 5:19 PM
Hi there ,
This is the " French Link" and it is not broken ...
Can you access to it without a redirection ?
http://www.update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/vistadefault.aspx?ln=En ... like this , the page will be displayed in english.... and sorry , but i acces this one with W7 ... so it was automatically renamed for my Operating System and not XP.
http://www.update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/default.aspx?ln=fr .... oups , sorry , this one is for XP's Users.
The first link was automatically " altered" because viewed throught Windows7 and not a XP machine.
A plus..... Cordialement. Hummmm... Seven .. un goût, un parfum, un ..OS venu d'ailleurs ..... Seven !
Wednesday, August 15, 2012 12:27 AMThanks for the link above. When I use it on an affected machine, it gets me obviously to the French site, I install the control, then close out IE. Then, going back to the Windows Update web site as I normally would, everything works fine. This appears to resolve the issue.
Wednesday, August 15, 2012 8:36 PMI was also having the same issue, and I'd like to confirm that this fixed it. Thanks!
Monday, August 20, 2012 2:34 PMThanks for the answer above. Also, A Conrad Schissler (in the 2003 forum thread with the same issue) noted simply adding "www." to the URL of the US site (so that it's www.update.microsoft.com, not update.microsoft.com) resolves the issue using the US site. So it's not a French site versus English site problem. It's that some machines are somehow using the wrong URL. My theory is that perhaps Microsoft used to support both update.microsoft.com and www.update.microsoft.com, and that many XP/2003 machines still use update.microsoft.com but some recent fix broke the url that leaves off the www. Simply hand-entering it resolves, and then subsequent attempts to use the Start Menu item work fine.
Wednesday, August 29, 2012 6:23 PM
Thank you all. Was having the issue on two 2003 servers. Adding the www fixed it immediately.
Saturday, October 06, 2012 12:42 AMThank you all! I was having this same issue on a 2003 R2 Server. Your solution fixed it for me as well. After accepting the add in the French site. I then went to the U.S. site and the looping stopped and was able to update.
Tuesday, October 16, 2012 11:37 AMExcellent, fixed it for me as well.