Monday, January 28, 2013 9:19 AM
I am working on very old project which is developed in MS Pascal (Dos compiler to run app) and now am planing to convert it to C# windows app.
Any converters are available to make my job easy?.If not what is the better way to complete this by less effort?.
Please guide me on this issue. Any samples or examples will be useful to me to.
- Moved by Michael Switzer [MSFT CSG] Wednesday, January 30, 2013 9:26 PM Not a MAP related question
Thursday, January 31, 2013 8:13 AM
Results by google
Thursday, January 31, 2013 9:18 AM
I am not sure that it will make much sense to simply convert the application. What is the application doing that will:
- make a quick rewrite impossible
- makes it acceptable to keep the old DOS interface
- does not have bad impacts because new technologies are not used (e.g. databases and such)
I always made bad experience with any converters and you easily run into trouble. At least a good check is required if the converted code seems to be correct which also takes a lot of effort.
And if the application has
- no complexity (= small application only) a rewrite should be quicker than all the research and playing around with tools
- high complexity you need to add automatic tests so you can be sure that it really works which should require some redesign of the whole solution.
Please don't get me wrong - feel free to do whatever you want with any tools you find. And If you do so I hope that you are a lucky guy and everything works as expected. But I fear that the "shortcut" you are thinking of might result in much more work than a rewrite ...
With kind regards,