Wednesday, September 26, 2012 1:43 PM
I've been using MDT 2010 with great success, unfortunately when I installed MDT 2012 and attempted the same tasks performed in 2010 I've had nothing but problems. My office is small and I don't make any direct custom changes to the ini files. Primarily I just perform basic deployments and captures.
1. When deploying Windows 7 (from original installation files not a captured image) the domain join works but the deployment fails and I'm left with the setup partition which is still configured as the boot volume. If I don't join to the domain it completes successfully.
2. When I try and capture a custom image using the litetouch.vbs script it quickly finishes and gives me a deployment completed successfully message without ever doing anything to capture the image.
The same steps performed without any custom changes work perfectly in 2010.
All similar issues I've seen revolve around customized settings in MDT 2012. I haven't changed anything and it doesn't work.
Just from poking around in the task sequences it appears as though the Capture and Standard Task sequences are different from 2010 to 2012 specifically regarding the position of sysprep. When attempting to deploy and join to a domain it seems as though the system is trying to run sysprep after it joins the domain which just isn't going to work.
I have upgraded to latest service pack and I have started with a fresh deployment share and have actually tried this with a couple different environments. In both environments I try 2012 and it fails. I tear everything down and try it on 2010 and it works perfectly.
There are features in MDT 2012 that I would like to use, such as deploying Windows 8, so I know I can't stay with 2010 forever but as of this moment I have no choice.
- Thanks for any help I can get or for at least reading my tale of woe crammed into a bottle and tossed into the furious sea that is the internet.
Monday, October 01, 2012 8:14 PM
I've noticed that my question seems to be getting some notice based on the number of times it's been viewed but no one has responded yet. To those of you viewing this (if you wouldn't mind) are you encountering similar issues which brought you here via search, or does this seem to be a ridiculous issue possibly due to a fundamental misunderstanding of the product?
And I know I'm actually asking for the dreaded "I have the same problem," response which those of us looking for a legitimate solution loathe, but at this point I'll take some simple commiseration over the silence.
Monday, October 01, 2012 8:39 PM
Hi there, Your original post is long and hard to read(sorry) Perhaps that's why there hasn't been much response.
It looks like your deployment works with MDT 2010 but not 2012.
It also appears that when you perform a Lite-Touch deployment from your original media it fails after a domain join but is successful when in a workgroup.
It could be that you have some GPO issues here.
Please specify the exact error and include the relevent exerts from your logs if you can.
Wednesday, October 31, 2012 7:06 PM
I think I determined what was causing the problem. The name of the Domain I was working with is different than the NETBIOS name of the domain (Don't ask. It was a legacy issue that existed before I was a part of the company and there are too many systems tied into now to change it easily).
As a matter of habbit when prompted for credentials to access the server containing the MDT scripts I would use <NETBIOS Domain Name>\<Username> but then in the MDT prompts I would use <Domain Name>\<Username>. While this would work in the past it apparently doesn't work now with 2012. As soon as I used the <Domain Name>\<Username> combination in all locations and not the NETBIOS Domain Name it seemed to work fine. I was able to join the domain through the Standard Deployment template and access the LiteTouch.vbs script to create an image.
- Marked As Answer by PCHLackey Wednesday, October 31, 2012 7:06 PM