Friday, July 20, 2012 2:39 AM
Here is what I've done:
Using VMWare workstation, I set up a Windows 7 O/S, ran updates, sysprepped with generalize and oobe switches. The image already contains a folder with all necessary drivers and registry has been updated to look for drivers in that directory (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\DevicePath). Took a wim with WDS. Deployment with WDS is a nobrainer. It works like a breeze. However, when the wim is deployed via MDT, the O/S fails to boot after installation. A wim taken from a physical PC works just fine when deployed via MDT to other virtual or physical environments, but a wim taken from a VM totally fails to boot afterwords.
The boot manager returns an error: windows failed to load because a critical system driver is missing
I checked \drivers directory and both iaStor.sys and iaStorV.sys were there. I've gone through similar threads and googled around with no luck.
Any suggestions are appreciated.
Friday, July 20, 2012 1:15 PM
DevicePath is not longer used in Windws 7, you shoudl try to build and capture your master image with MDT and install vmware tools
- during the build process if the image is only meant to be used on vmware VMs
- during the deployment process based on the model variable if the image is meant to be used on multiple platforms
David Sebban | Nelite North America | http://www.nelite.com/community/b/dsebban/default.aspx
Friday, July 20, 2012 4:19 PM
Providing a path to the drivers directory in DevicePath still works in Windows 7. It works well for me, but not when I deploy a sysprepped wim via MDT.
Shortly after posting my question here, I found the cause of my misery: It was the unattend.xml from the task sequence that messed up the install process. It had the devicepath set to \Drivers. Removing it solved the issue I've been having with my deployment and now everything else works the way I scripted it. Not sure why it was causing the issue, but perhaps it should be pointing to a correct share? I'll have to play around with it a bit more.
Friday, July 20, 2012 7:52 PM
Setting the <DriverPaths> in unattend.xml to a network share (make sure to include the credential to access the network share) fixes this issue as well.
<component name="Microsoft-Windows-PnpCustomizationsNonWinPE" processorArchitecture="x86" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35"
language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State"
xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"> <DriverPaths> <PathAndCredentials wcm:keyValue="1" wcm:action="add"> <Credentials> <Domain>Fabrikam</Domain> <Password>MyPassword</Password> <Username>MyUserName</Username> </Credentials> <Path>\\networkshare\share\drivers</Path> </PathAndCredentials> </DriverPaths> </component>