Tuesday, December 06, 2011 3:55 PM
I have a very strange issue here:
Lync address book has been genrated by update-csuserdatabase and update-caaddressbook successfully.
client can download address book fine.
However, I cannot search a lync user by "Last name".
Here are what I have tried:
1. del the Galcontacts.db and Galcontacts.idx files and trigger clients to redownload it again.
2. Check the rtccab and rtccab1 db, can found last name information in the tables
3. open the Galcontacts.db in notepad, can find information of last name.
4. open the Galcontacts.db.idx in notepad, can NOT find any information of last name... (On a working lab, I can find info in the index file)
5.use ABconfig tool, and regenerate the AB, problem still there.
6. reset RtcAddAbAttribute to default values and regenerate address book. problem is still there.
It looks like somehow the index does not contain required info. Can anyone tell me why the index file does not contain last name which it should and how to troubleshoot?
- Edited by actionxpMVP Tuesday, December 06, 2011 3:58 PM
Wednesday, December 07, 2011 7:12 PM
this is just ONE client that is having problems, right? So, many are actually working?
If many, then - I had some issues once that the "enable-cscomputer" command resolved (permissions on the fileshare)
If it's just one client - is it possible to reinstall. Making sure that the Lync profile is deleted from the file system during the uninstall? Prolly save time uninstalling then troubleshooting. It's local somewhere.
Also, you did do the REGISTRY KEY adjustment so that Lync downloads the address book at start, right? If not, it does it at like 3:02 AM or something crazy like this (per my floggy memory)
Thursday, December 08, 2011 5:14 AM
thanks for the reply. but I have no problem to download address book.
my problem is that I cannot search addressbook by lastname
Thursday, December 08, 2011 5:59 AMModerator
Can you search other users by "Last Name"?Can other users search this one by "Last Name"?Can you seach this user by other item such as "First Name" or "Display Name"?
Please try to run Enable-CsComputer as Greg advised and also please check if this user has the last name defined in his/her Account info in AD attribute.
Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
Monday, December 12, 2011 2:27 AM
We have enabled around 150 users for the pilot. But only less than 10 can be search by last name.
we have run the enable-cscomputer and reboot already, not helpful.
The only funny thing we can find that is:
If the last name contains a space, it cannot search. For example, if the user is called:
first name: William
Last name: Yang
It can search.
but if it is called:
First name: William
Last name: Muk Yang
It cannot search.
I cannot reproduce this behavior on my test env. No idea what's wrong with customer's environment. Any hint?
Monday, December 12, 2011 2:36 AM
have you tried deleting the .slab files from the Share location and then run the update-csuserdatabase and update-caaddressbook, forcing Lync to re create the .slab files fresh? you may need to do the same to the client also to refresh it's AB file.
Thamara. MCTS, MCITP Ent Admin, Specialized in U.C Voice OCS 2007 R2
Monday, December 12, 2011 4:00 AMyes, did that already.
Thursday, December 15, 2011 4:08 PM
We opened a case with PSS and finally found out the reason by debuging on Lync client.
The cause of the issue is:
1. customer is a big company, when we search a last name, say "yang", there are over 200+ "yang" since it is a very common last name for Chinese.
2. customer is just deployed Lync. Due to risk and cost consideration, over 200+ people are activated for Lync service as pilot user.
3. When Lync client submit a query based on the index, it can return the full list of the users.
4. By design, Lync client only pick up the first 50 users from the list.
5. By design, Lync client then filter out all users without SIP address.
6.Unfornately, the first 50 of the 200+ "yang" do not have SIP address yet, so Lync return a null search result.
So this is actually a bug in the product design logic instead of a reasonable by-design behavior.
1. In the real world deployment, considering risk and license cost, Microsoft cannot expect customer to enable all users for Lync service at very beginning.
2. It is very normal that many people in one company have same “last name”. When designing the logic, Microsoft product team should consider this scenario and the risk carefully.
3. understand that Lync client won’t display all users, and also understand it only display the first 50 users due to performance consideration. But it is definitely NOT reasonable to return a “NULL” search result! a simple sort or query filtering can fix this issue easily, or at least give some readable hint message.
using ABSConfig.exe to generate Lync OAB with the option "only include the users that have a value in this AD attribute “msRTCSIP-PrimaryUSerAddress”. So the OAB will only include users with SIP addresses.
We are now asking PSS to open a bug to product team with following suggestion.
1. When query the index, do a filter to get only users with SIP addresses instead of all users.
2. Before Lync client pick up the first 50 users, it should do a sort and put users with SIP addresses in front.
- Marked As Answer by actionxpMVP Thursday, December 15, 2011 4:08 PM