Wednesday, March 21, 2012 3:37 AM
Using outlook 2010, connecting to POP3/SMTP server @ pop.att.yahoo.com/smtp.att.yahoo.com.
Have 5 email accounts set up in one PST file. 4 accounts work fine. The 5th account has worked for 5+ years (with outlook), but recently encountered the error message: "Log onto incoming mail server (POP3): The connection to the server was interrupted. If this problem continues, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP)".
Checked the settings: confirmed same on all accounts:
Incoming server (POP3): 995, Outgoing server (SMTP): 465, SSL setting set for both incoming and outgoing.
Tried deleting the account, adding back, but no success.
Have scanned the forums (and google) for many days, see similar issues, but none with suggestions that will correct.
I am able to access this email account using webmail, iphone, ipad, just not with Outlook.
Not sure if this is relevent: the account not working is my apple account email....some posts suggest that this may be related to icloud? Note: I do not use icloud, and have not set up or configured.
Any help is very much appreciated.
Thursday, March 22, 2012 8:58 AMModerator
Uncheck SSL for incoming and outgoing servers, change incoming port server to 110, set outgoing port to default, see what happen.
Please create a new outlook profile follow the article below and only setup apple mail account without firewall/mail scanner running:
Make sure those Pop3 & SMTP services in firewall trust list and stop mail protect scanner.
Let me know the result. Thanks.
TechNet Community Support
Friday, March 23, 2012 1:25 AM
Tony, thanks for the reply.
I believe I have set up as you suggested above. In attempting to create the new profile, with the apple mail account, I get an failure logging on to the email server.
POP3 and SMTP services in firewall trust list and stopped mail scans. Second image is the email settings used. Curious, why suggest using POP3: 110 when ATT suggests other settings (and the other settings work for other accounts)?
Again, appreciate your time.
Friday, March 23, 2012 6:09 PM
I have the same exact problem as Mark has. I have tried all of the things he has tried, tried the deafult settings etc, plus I contacted att support ( I have ATT Uverse) They said that since I could log into web mail that is had to be problem with outlook 2010 but I find this hard to believe as I have outlook 2010 on 3 different laptops all runnig win7 and they dont have the issue. They then sent me over to another software support line and after telling the tech what all I had done she tried selling me on the 15 dollar a month with a one year contract to get it fixed. This issue s is all over the forums but no one seems to know what the fix is. I have tried the kb articles but no luck in fixing the issue. Any help would be appreciated as my wife is about to drive me crazy (its her outlook that is having the issue).
I possible have a solution for this problem at this link. Basically if you have a smartphone (my wife has an Iphone) turn it off and then try to connect to outlook. May be something to do with how pop works not allowing more than 1 connection at a time. Hope this helps
Monday, April 02, 2012 3:17 AM
I found a solution to this problem. Not exactly what I wanted to do, but it works. I set up a second outlook pst file, with the accounts not working. Used the same settings as the original pst file, and all worked fine.
This did not identify why the problem occured on the original pst file, but is an adequate solution.
Should have thought of this one sooner....was trying all the "technical solutions" in the forums (which did not work), so tried a simple solution.